Omnipod Issues

My 5 year old just started on the Omnipod about 3 weeks ago. He was previously extremely tightly and well controlled on injections, but we made this change to limit the number of shots he needed each day and at the recommendation that a pump and its features help even more with control.

To say the least, it has been a disaster. His blood sugars have been the highest they have ever been (minus diagnosis day), we are experiencing more lows, more highs, and a much more difficult rollercoaster. Has anyone else had the same results when switching to the pump from injections? Did it take a little while to get the settings just right?

Thanks!

@Katie5 hi Katie, 2 things to remember when starting pumping: real basalrates are hard to dial in. I had terrible control the first 6 months on a pump. The bigger issue is that infusion sets may be harder for some than others. The pod uses a Teflon cannula and your son may not be able to tolerate them. Try different set spots He maybe in the population that doesn’t tolerate pumping. I hope you are working with a great pump trainer. Don’t give up hope if it doesn’t improve he can go vac on shots then try a different pump which can allow him to use steel infusion sets. Good luck!

Hi Katie I switched from injections to an omnipod pump about a year ago and have a similarly hard time but its getting much better. I turned to Integrated Diabetes for help which they have (albeit at a cost). They are very familiar with the omnipod pump and all have Type 1. As Joe mentioned you have to dial in the basal rates which can take some time but they should be able to help you do this. There are advantages and disadvantages but the obvious advantages to the pump are the ability to set different basal rates for different times of day, temporary or extended basal rates/doses and most importantly will help with insulin on board. Best of luck.

It does take time and help, if you can get an educator from OmniPod or your doctor. I use OmniPod and love it more than previous pump - but switched from injections to a different pump. Also, do you use a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) like Dexcom? When I switched to a pump having continuous readings helped me and my educator tweak my settings on both basal and bolus on a regular basis (2 times times a week). Reach out to OmniPod to ask if they have an educational support program for new pump users. I started on different pump and they offered a nurse that I shared readings with and we would have calls where she would recommend adjustments. She had different exercises like eat dinner at 6-7 and don’t eat anything until morning - which allowed her to see where my dexcom reading went overnight to see if my overnight basal rate was too high or low. But this may be a rare benefit and this pump exited the business. If OmniPod doesn’t have an educator, work with your doctor to get one. But explain what you want, as I find some diabetes educators only provide high level tips (like the carbs in an apple) and may not know the nuances of a pump. All said, it’s worth the work. I don’t miss needle sticks and love the OmniPod (and Dexcom changed my life).

Agree with @kev. Also, Omnipod has an arrangement with Glooko, where you upload your omnipod to Glooko, and if you have Dexcom - it integrates/syncs that data as well to give you a better sense of the BGs are on certain days/times/meals. I have iOS - not sure how it works with android.

There are some great books out there for pumping - Think like a pancreas and Bright Spots and Landmines. The latter helped me a lot.