Non-T1D Siblings

I have a few questions and I’m not sure it’s allowed or not so please delete if not.

My 11 year old was just Dx’d about 3 weeks ago. Her A1C was 13.2!!! They said she had stayed dangerously high for at least 5-6 months and I missed every symptom. Which has led me to worry about my youngest which is 6 years old. Her fasting BG stays between 95-110 and her random BG is Asually between 120-150 but I’ve had a few days that she stayed between 180-220 with a fasting of 126 and another day that she stayed between 160-180… are these numbers something I should be concerned about? I initially flipped out but then it went back down. Is this something normal for a child or could it be the very early stages of the honeymoon period. My 11 year old seems to be completely out of the honeymoon stage as her BG has stayed constant with the only 2 lows during school tests.

I forgot the second question… how did everyone deal with their non-t1d not understanding why we can’t stop for icecream or buy a candy bar/coke at checkout etc?
I myself could live off of sweets and have never paid attention to food labels before so my children have been used to sweets often since they can remember. Any my 11 yr old understands why she can’t have it but my 6 year old don’t understand why “she” can’t have it.

Hey, I’m actually an adult with T1D for 29 years (I’m 32 years old), just got drawn in from the title. If those numbers from your first post are from your second child(the 6 year old who is undiagnosed) I would suggest calling your doctor/endocrinologist right away,I don’t think non-diabetics get a blood sugar in the 200’s (unless she just ate some fruit or something and didn’t clean her hands before testing and then you’re just testing the fruit juice on her fingers) but even the higher 100’s seems worrisome to me, especially someone that young. Most people (w/o diabetes) are in the range of 80’s-low 100’s, depending on age, activity, health and whether they just ate.

Hello, I am a parent of a T1D toddler and a Physician, and I would strongly recommend you share with your Pediatrician these results you have from with your non diabetic child, asap. Best wishes, Heloisa.

Hi,
I think you should get your other child tested. I have two sons with T1D. My first son was diagnosed when he was eight and my youngest son was just diagnosed last year on his sixteenth birthday. I never thought I’d have two children with T1D, but lucky me, I do. Double the stress and double the worries.
Kristeen

We had an appointment with my non-t1ds pediatrician. Like I said earlier the lowest I had ever seen her fasting was 95mg once and around 100-110 on a normal basis and up to 126 mg once also (before she even gets out of bed).
We got to the doc and they initially were not going to check her saying that “type one is more of a random happening than it is related to genetic factors so she really doesn’t have a clinically significant increased risk of developing t1d” when i told her that my daughter had been fasting as requested she agreed to go ahead and do the test.

It was 65MG! How in the world is it that they got a 65mg reading but I’ve never got below a 95mg! I requested an A1C to see if that would show the 200s I’ve been seeing and she said that with her glucose only 65 there was no need in doing an A1C.
As long as her glucose stays within range I’m happy but does 65MG fasting sound low for non-diabetic to everyone else?

Kinda odd that her sugars are all over the place!

I won’t address your first question because it has been answered well by so many other than to say, don’t fret [too much] and don’t worry her too much but do let a trained medical person test her under proper controlled conditions.

As for the rest of your family and the foods you want to have for them. some background, my parents had 8 children and I was number 4 and for our father, dinner was not complete unless my mother served two deserts; during autumn, when I got home from school my mother would hand me the colander and send me into the yard to get enough apples for her outstanding pie.

My brothers and sisters all understood my restrictions and didn’t “rub it in” and also didn’t hide sweets, or my favorites - veggies, from me. Did I cheat and sneak something? YES, but not excessively until I was out in the working world. As I look back, my siblings were supportive and really helped me including a couple of my sisters who would sometimes boil my needles and give me shots in places I couldn’t manage on my own so I could give my ravaged thighs a brief respite.

sure you can stop occasionally for that ice cream but your 11 year old shouldn’t get a triple scoop with all kinds of sticky toppings - yeah, and save that candy bar “treat” for medicinal purposes for when [not if] she has that sudden low BG - I always have chocolate granola bars [19 g of carb each] in my bike bag for emergency. Yes, an 11 year old, and growing, will be very active and will burn up needed reserves of glucose in her system.

Best wishes and good luck to you - stay in touch,

Dennis

I’ll skip the first question as many have made very good suggestions to follow up.

As for the 2nd. At our house we don’t let type 1 dictate our meals. As with life before diabetes, everything in moderation. Ask yourself this, “before diagnosis, would I have allowed that sweet treat at the register? Would we have stopped for that ice cream cone?”. If the answer is yes, then test your child’s bg, dose accordingly and enjoy that treat. I have learned the hard way saying no to the t1 & non-t1 to every treat they ask for send a message that Diabetes is in charge. It caused a lot of head aches and tears. It caused my sons to start sneaking food. Once we loosened up, life became happier and less rigidity opened up the lines of communication more. We talked more about making good food choices and learning what foods send my son spiking and which don’t seem to affect him all that much. Good luck on your journey!

@HardingN88
Hello,
As for the second question, we have an 8 and a 6 year old without T1 and a 2 1/2 year old with T1. The 6 year old heard the word jealousy the other day. He asked what it meant and I told him. We then talked about things that someone might be jealous of. I also asked both boys if they had ever felt jealous of anything. Surprisingly, the 8 year old said he might be jealous of his T1 sister since she sometimes gets snacks (for her lows) when he and his brother do not get a snack. Kind of the reverse of your situation, but interesting to see how kids think about things.
After that we talked about how she has to have her blood tested several times a day and get injections as well. Then I asked him if he would really want those extra snacks if he had to do all those things for the rest of his life to get them. He said no.

In your situation, you did not mention whether your child was on a pump or injections. Depending on your insulin plan you may be able to adjust dosages based on what your child is going to eat (first consulting with the Endo on how to make those adjustments).
Our daughter is on a more fixed program and we are very careful about following her meal plan so that she gets the same amount of carbs at the same times each day. When we do get a high-carb treat, maybe we just share now, or take much smaller portions, or allow the non-T1s to have a treat while the T1 chooses her own ‘free’ or low-carb snack that she likes.
Good luck