Newly pregnant!

So I’ve never been well at controlling my diabetes. But ever since I found out I was pregnant I’ve been on top of things. It’s still hard keeping my blood sugar down though. It makes me nervous and it keeps me up a lot at night just thinking about the things that could happen. I want the best for my child and just need some reassurance.

Hi @Lgeno,

Keep in contact with your doctors as much as you can, they can help make changes that will lower your blood sugars, and try talking to a nutrionist to get better options for eating. I was able to bring my a1c down 3 full points after I found out I was pregnant and stay in the 6’s the entire pregnancy. You have to stay proactive for your health and the baby as well. I used to check every hour and correct at 2 hours. I think that helped. It can be hard and stressful try to stay calm. You have got this!

How far along are you?

@Gina,
I am approximately 6 weeks pregnant. I’m just ready for my first appointment so I can at least get an idea of how things are going. I’m just scared of the risks of what could happen to my baby. I want the best and don’t want anything to happen, especially because of something I could’ve controlled better.

@Lgeno,

If it helps to ease your mind my a1c was 8.9 at conception and the second month it was 7.2 and then 3 months I was 6.1. My son was born healthy, happy and BIG LOL I had a very good pregnancy except for the weeks 9-18 where I had morning sickness but after they prescribed me some Zofran I was feeling SO much better!

Take one day at a time, do the best as you can and honestly try to stay stress free. The more stressed you are the worse it is for you and your bundle! I was nervous until the first appointment also. Actually even after that because I was only 4 weeks at my first appoint, and it was too early for the heartbeat through the sono. But, after the second appointment and we heard and saw the heartbeat I was more at ease and after every appointment I felt better. I didn’t get nervous again till the night I was in L&D LOL Everything started to become real and I felt a bit panicky. My son was born and brought to NICU for 24 hour observation to make sure his blood sugars weren’t low. But, I knew about all of that before in the hospital consultation. His blood sugar was in the 50’s but they nurses said that was normal for a baby.

Stay positive!

@Gina,
That does make me feel a little better! They say that babies tend to be big when the mother is diabetic… My poor belly! Haha! I’m just praying everyday for a healthy baby. Thanks for the support!

@Lgeno,

My son was big. 10 pounds 13 oz! I was higher in the beginning like I said to you in an earlier post but, my a1c’s were all in the mid 6’s till I gave birth. I don’t know if he was bigger because of my higher numbers in the first trimester or genetics!

No mom-to-be with type 1 diabetes has perfect blood sugars during pregnancy. Yet most of us have perfectly healthy children.

Like you already know, do your best to keep blood sugars well managed while avoiding any lows below 65. You will have slight increases in your insulin needs through the first two trimesters, then a big increase in the final trimester.

If you have specific times of day or circumstances where you are having highs, get your doctor’s advice and also search through the forums here for great tips that helped other type 1 moms work around the blood sugar changes pregnancy brings.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Motherhood is a wonderful blessing.

It’s really hard to not worry, but do your best and know that it’s definitely possible to be diabetic and have a healthy baby! I spent about the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy being so worried, but I’m now 33 weeks and the baby is healthy. I’m sure everyone’s body reacts differently to pregnancy, but my insulin needs decreased significantly in the first and second trimester. I started to notice around week 8. My carb ratio was about 1:12, instead of my usual 1:5 and I cut back to less than half of my pre pregnancy basal insulin dose. I had to start increasing my insulin around week 25. This board has been very helpful for me, so hopefully it will be for you too!

@Lgeno

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am still waiting on my happy day to come, so I can’t say I know first-hand what you’re going through, but I can give you encouragement and assure you that YOU CAN DO THIS!

Congrats! My wife who has type 1, delivered 8 months ago to a 8lbs 8oz girl 2 weeks before her due date. During her pregnancy, she had a 5.0, 5.0 and 5.4 for a1c’s, 80-120 bg range. She is 35 years old and had been on injections for 20 years before becoming pregnant and switched to a pump for the pregnancy. I:C ratios changed like crazy and basals were adjusted weekly. Eating the right things at the right time of day are essential too. No quick sugars like fruits in the morning, it goes directly to the baby. Proteins for breakfast instead, eggs and cheeses. Cut out pastas, breads and fats for the pregnancy. Eat 5 or 6 times a day. The goal is to keep the baby within size parameters to reduce all those chances of complications. It might sound simple but was a lot of hard work, but we did it as a family.

She is still on the pump. And…she is pregnant again!!!

Wow! @HusbandAndFatherOfT1Ds! You guys are going to be really busy soon!! Congratulations!!! We did it as a family too and it helps to have a supportive husband. I could not have gotten through it without him!! I am glad you shared your experience on here with us!

@Lgeno: Congratulations! I am about 6 1/2 weeks pregnant! When I first found out a couple of weeks ago that I was pregnant, my blood sugars dropped constantly but now they are starting to rise. How did your first trimester go? How far along are you now?

@Smile101101,

I am over the moon excited for you!!! Congrats!!!

@Gina Thank you so much!! :slight_smile: