Newly Diagnosed

Hey!

Well, I am MiKayla! I am 16 and I am a national gymnast!! A dancer, a member of FCCLA,  and a tumbler! I have just been recently diagnosed with diabetes and its so hard for me! Diabetes and me do not mix. I need some help on how I can get more used to my diabetes. I wear a pump too! So does anyone have any suggestions?? I need some help!

Welcome to the site MiKayla!

It all seems hard and confusing right now, but things will get easier! What problems are you having right now that you need help with? :)

Thanks! I am just hearing about juvenation! I like it! Its like a facebook for diabetes! Right now I am having trouble with my gymnastics and sugar, and it seems like I am way more tired now than I was before.

There are others on here who can give you much better advice regarding exercise and diabetes than I can. So I will leave the experts to it :o)

Welcome to the site. You sound like a busy lady! Good luck with your gymnastics. You've found a fantastic place to come for friendship and support. :o)

Hi MiKayla!  I'm new at this too, and just now trying to work exercise back into my life.  I'm doing it much more slowly though, as I'm not an athlete.  So far, jsut walking and yoga.  I'm sure it must be hard to learn how to keep stable with more demanding exercise like gymnastics!

Also, I'm jealous of your pump!  When did you get diagnosed?  Unless my insurance accepts my appeal, I have to wait until I've been doing injections for a total of 6 months.  Ack!

Welcome MiKayla!

dont get too discouraged! My body gets the same way when my sugars arnt under tight control- and i definitly had a difficult time adjusting to it when i was first diagnosed- i thought i would never feel normal again. But if i keep tight control of my sugars (learning to use temporary rates was key for me!) i can exercise and feel like i did before i got diabetes!

from what i understand (feel free to correct me if im wrong!) is that when your sugars are high (or just not in control) the lactic acid (?) builds up in your muscles easier which is why your muscles feel more fatigued more easily. And i know that whenever my sugars are out of whack i just feel like sleeping! But it will get better!

Also there are many professional athletes with Type 1 -dont have a link to them, or know their names- but im sure some others on this site can help with that ;)

Good luck! your not alone! and we are all here if you get overwhelmed!

Hi MiKayla!  Welcome to Juvenation!  You have found a really great place for lots of great advice and support!  If you are having trouble with gymnastics and your sugar, you just have to try to test often to figure out what works best for you!  Are you testing before practice to see where you are?  If you are high before practice that could be making you feel tired.  If you go low during gymnastics and your body helps you to rebound, that can wipe you out too.  Try to check as often as you can!  Does your coach know about your diabetes?  He/she should be allowing you to check often so that you can keep track of where you are!  Good Luck and don't give up!!:D

Welcome to Juvenation! 

I've been working on figuring out exercise, too. The key really is testing and logging. There are so many variables: type of exercise, level of hydration, food you eat, amount of insulin, timing of insulin - that it can feel really overwhelming. If you only change one thing at a time, though, it is easier to figure out what is working. So If for practice one day you disconnect from your pump but change nothing else, and you end up going high and feeling exhausted, you know that didn't work. So the next day, you leave your pump on and end up going low - also didn't work, so then the next day, you can try a temp basal of -50%. If that keeps you mostly in range, you found something that works. So then, you can move onto food, and try eating different things before practice to see which ones help your BG stay steady. It's a lot of trial and correction.

Because of the adrenaline, you might find that you need more insulin than you would if you were not doing gymnastics (especially at meets). The book "Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" has a lot of really great suggestions. It's dry reading, but it really helps to understand what it happening with your body. 

How recently were you diagnosed? Let me know if you have any questions I can answer. I'm not a professional, but I have put a lot of energy into learning about exercise and diabetes. 

I constantly stay busy! this summer, I have only been home about 20 days if even that.

I didn't have to do that. I only did injections for about 2 weeks and then I had my pump! I got diagnosed in november...3 days before my birthday...so no birthday cake this year :( i spent my bday in the hospital! How old are you? I am 16 and they ordered my pump instantly. It's purple and I bedazzled it lol and it has a sparkly silver case!

p.s. it's my second one...can you believe someone stole my first one. Who needs a insulin pump if you're not diabetic!

(SORRY FOR THE ALL-CAPS, MY IPHONE ALWAYS DOES THAT ON THIS SITE!)                                      I'M 30. MAYBE INSURANCE IS QUICKER TO GIVE PUMPS TO MINORS? OR MAYBE YOUR INSURANCE IS JUST BETTER THAN MINE!!! THAT'S VERY COOL THAT YOU BEDAZZLED IT! I LOVE TO SEW AND CRAFT, SO I PLAN TO MAKE CUTE CASES WHEN I GET MINE. :) I WONDER... MAYBE THE PERSON WHO STOLE YOUR FIRST PUMP THOUGHT IT WAS A PHONE OR PDA?

I don't know? They took it while we was in washington and we looked for it. I had to take lots of lantus and insulin shots while we was up there. We still haven't found that pump. I don't know who would want it. They should be able to know its a pump or something because of the tube and I can't get on this site with my phone :(

Hey! welcome to the site. i think the best way to feel more comfortable with diabetes is to talk to other people with diabetes to realize that there are a lot of other people dealing with the same thing.

Hey Mikayla,

I am a little bit younger then you but maybe my story can help you...I was 9 1/2 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, 2 weeks before Halloween. (that way sucked) My first bag (I had a little purse with my monitor and medicine in it) of supplies was stolen while I was playing at the park. I am not an athlete but we do a lot of hiking and fishing so I know how it is to be tired. My mom always makes sure we have snacks on hand and juices, it seems to help when I get to feeling too tired. and dont let yourself get down about it, it will even out and get better soon.