New to this

My daughter age 10 went to the Doctors for what I had thought was the flu.  That was on 12/18/2008.  She was immed sent to the local hospital who inturn had to send her to a 2nd hospital that specilized in this area, Type 1 diabetes.  So after 4 days in ICU and a day and a half learning about how to take care of her and for her to also take care of herself now she is home.  I don't sleep much anymore, still trying to regulate her sugar level.  a couple nights she got up not feeling well and her suger was down in the low 50's.  My biggest fear is that she that she won't wake up so I'm constantly  checking on her.  The Dr has modified insulin today and I'm hoping this will help.  I really don't have any questions, I'm still trying to absorb the idea that this is a life long and all the information that I've received from the hospital, encr., primary care, the nutritionist and the diabetes educator.  This has had a tremendous effect on my emotional well being.  Thanks for listening...

It's a horrible thing! My almost 3 yr old was diagnosed on the 6th November 2008. There sure is plenty to absorb hey? Give yourself time ... thats what I have learned in such a short time. I have to give myself time to adjust. 

My daughter was diagnosed last May and I know exactly how it all feels.  You feel like you've been through the ringer - all the education on diet, insulin, what to do, what not to do - it makes your head spin.

Kathy came home from the hospital with a much different insulin dosage than she has now.  I almost can't believe the amount she was using.  She's on such a small amount now, but it will creep back up.

My suggestion to you is to educate yourself as much as you can!  I read just about anything I get on T1 and try to stay up on all of it.  Kathy is 9 and she isn't really knowledgable about all of it, as much as I am.  So I'm the "go-to" for her.  We did check on her every night for a while, and yes, it's hard, but in the beginning, it will make you feel better.  Trust me - I felt better after waking up and knowing her blood sugar was okay than laying there worrying about her.  After a while (it may seem like forever), you will get to know what is a good bedtime BS and what isn't.  Her endo told me as long as her bedtime numbers are good, there is no reason to check her in the middle of the night.  Although I still do every once in a while.  And in the beginning, it is important.  This too will change!  You'll adjust her insulin amounts again, and again, and finally when you think you have it all figured out, you'll have another day with lows or highs.  I think it gets easier only because you get to know it all better. 

If she is having lows in the morning, they will probably change her dinnertime long-acting dosage.  Kathy was on 6 Lantus at night after her first endo appt.  Not long after that she had her seizure - very scary - and he kicked it down to 4.  Then, she kept having lows at breakfast, so it went down to 2.  We are now at 1.5 Lantus at night.  This change happened over the course of only 6 months!

Keep up with it, stay as focued on her as you can, and you'll be fine.  It is hard, your at the tough stage, but I have to say (for me, at least), it got a little easier.  It is a life-long thing, and yes, no matter what you do, Diabetes is going to be constantly there in your mind.  It needs to be so we can all be prepared for anything.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Vicky