New to Group - Hi, Everyone!

Hi all! I was so happy to find this group. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed almost two weeks ago and I’m excited to connect with other parents.

My husband and I are both Type 1s and both have pumps. On Wednesday, 5/21, we noticed our daughter was drinking a ton and urinating constantly so we checked her with one of our meters. We’ve done that periodically with both of our kids (she has an 8 year old brother) but never had I seen anything other than a normal number. This time it said 452. I couldn’t believe my eyes and checked her again. Then it was off to the hospital. Thankfully we caught it very early because all of her labs were good (except glucose, of course, and her A1c was 7.7).

We are obviously already schooled in all things diabetes (carb counting, dosing, etc.) but it is definitely different when it is your child instead of just you. I keep thinking of how I will send her away for a sleepover, etc.

Glad you all are here! Support is crucial - looking forward to getting to know you.

I am so sorry about your daughter’s diagnosis. I know most of us live well with our type 1, but as a parent it’s not what we want for our kids.

How old were you when you were diagnosed? I was 4 and just wanted to reassure you, as you already know, that diabetes won’t ruin her life. I did fine in school and am a wife an mom myself. I’m middle aged and complication-free now.

Please let us know if you or your daughter need anything. Take care. -Jenna

You both are truly amazing. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed April 11, 2014. It has been a whirlwind. She has shown her strength and we continue to live our lives as we did before. We keep busy with softball, dance, etc. I have met others with type one and you are an inspiration to me and to my daughter. I am new to the site and I am thankful for all the insight and support. K

I guess I posted twice in this forum - weird! So happy to meet you both here.

I was an adult onset type 1 who was initially diagnosed as type 2 (later testing showed the misdiagnosis). My husband was diagnosed at age 7.

So happy to hear the positive stories. I want to make sure she can do whatever she wants to do, which right now is having a sleepover at a friend’s house. I haven’t figured out how to make that happen yet, but I will!!!