New T1D Diagnosed 4 year old

Anyone with me? Need advise…thoughts, tips, prayers, anything!!

YES Sarah @Senessat I am with you, and so are many other members.

I’m not a Medical Doctor but I do have 60+ years experience living with TypeOne diabetes. Feel free to post here ANY questions or concerns you have [you will have many], vent frustrations or just talk - message me any time.

And Welcome to TypeOneNation, and I feel for you and for your 4 year old as you begin a new venture - but all is not lost, diabetes can be managed to fit lifestyle and live a long, active, full and productive life.

Thank you! I’m looking forward to hearing from everyone and learning a lot. It’s a tough journey.

Hi Sarah,
I was diagnosed when I was 3 and I’m 19 now. It can be a struggle at times, but it always gets better. When I was in middle school, I tried to deny the fact that I was a diabetic and put a lot of stress on my parents. I learned from a few friends my age with T1D that many kids do this, but we all eventually get back on the right path and get to where we need to be. Just let you kid know that many people are willing to help and to never let it hold the disease hold them back. Go play sports, join clubs, get involved in anything as I did at a young age and it will make managing diabetes so much easier. Feel free to ask me any questions if ever needed!

Hi Sarah,
The beginning is so overwhelming. I remember doctors telling me that it would all be ok, that it could be managed, etc… but there were certainly days that did not feel true. I also work with kids at a children’s hospital, and see how difficult these new diagnoses are every day. If you haven’t heard of it already, check out Bag of Hope with JDRF! Rufus the Bear with Diabetes is an awesome tool - he has patches on his body where he gets shots of insulin too, and 4 years old is a great age for medical play. They can feel more control over a situation if they get to play doctor or help take care of their stuffed animal just like someone else is helping take care of them.
Disney also has Coco, a character created with Type 1 Diabetes. I believe there’s a kids book online you can order, and that’s a great tool as well.
Will be thinking of you as you adjust to this new normal in life :slight_smile:

My 5 year old was diagnosed in March and SOOO much to learn, But I already love this website and the feedback. My son is learning and thriving. Same wild little man with a few times I have to tell him to slow down and eat a carb. I was not mentally prepared and just last month we went from managing everything well to unknown highs. I was frustrated. However I was in constant contact with our endocrinologist and dietician. I also kept very tight logs of carb intake, insulin and glucose levels. We changes up his carb ratio and learned for items like PIZZA. He has to have 1/2 unit before and the remaining 1/2 unit aprox 1 hour later. It has become a habit and my advise is let him know it is ok to tell others to educate them and never be embarrassed. My son is proud to show his dexcom. He also has a best friend at school that goes to with him to the nurse. All his kindergarten friends talk about how tough he is. It has changed his outlook. He use to fall down and cry and get back up after a hug and bandaid and do it again. Now he falls says" I am ok I got this and keeps going.
Now I see my 5 year old dial up his insulin pen and do his own blood glucose check. He also helps put on his CGM. WHICH IS A GODSEND!

1 Like

Hey!

Hang in there! My son is 3 and got diagnosed in December. It’s all still relatively new for us too. There are better days and bad days with all of this. I feel like some days I’ve got this and other days I just wish he didn’t have it and everything wasn’t so difficult. It’s already difficult being a parent and dealing with a threenager haha.

Just give yourself breaks and do something for you. Remember to take care of yourself as well. The hospital gave us some of those Disney books with the diabetic character which I think has helped My son has handled his injections and finger pokes pretty well up until now and is now sorta fighting the injections which makes it hard. He only wants them in his arms and screams bloody murder is anywhere else. We are now just looking into pumps and constant blood sugar meters.

I think just trying to maintain a sense or normal type day to day routines and fun activities so he doesn’t feel like he’s missing out on anything. We still let our toddler have carbs, and small treats like a chocolate or a little ice cream cone. Just stuff to still make him feel like a normal kid and the diabetes isn’t running his whole life.

Its a LOT of information so just take your time and go 1 day at a time with it. Be kind to yourself and breathe a LOT.

Best wishes