Nervous Mom

My son was dx 10/10 so we're still experiencing lots of "firsts".  He's an extremely active 9 yr. old and this summer has attended several sports camps with two, residential camps still to go (soccer and diabetes).  He has taken great responsibility in his care - monitoring, carb counting, injections, etc., however I am still so worried that something will go wrong when I'm not there and I can't get past the fact that he is just a little boy that is now charged with his own medical supervision.  I am really struggling with allowing and cultivating his independence and this helpless feeling I am facing.  Suggestion???

Hi! My son is non-D, but I clicked on your thread because I over worry about everything and thought I'd relate, lol.

What helps me is thinking, worst case scenario, what would happen? If he passes out, they call 911, administer glucagon, he feels crappy but is okay later.

When I was a kid, we'd always really lower my insulin each summer for the exact same reasons -- camp, being outside, etc. By next summer, you'll be in more of a routine. Hang in there!

Thank you Sarah:)

One of the best things about diabetes is that it makes a person independent... a diabetic learns early to take care of himself or herself and anticipate trouble.  As a diabetic kid I was more aware of my diabetes and blood sugar when my parents weren't around because I knew I had to be responsible for myself.  I've also known to let friends and teachers know I'm diabetic and tell them that if I start acting weird to get me some juice or sugar.

One of the other good things about being diabetic is that it forces a person to accept help from others.  At times in my life when I've had a bad low, others have always been quick to step in and help me.  In college and in my 20's I rarely tested and blew off my diabetes.  Consequently I had lows that left me incapacitated.  Once I was conscious and said I was diabetic and strangers jumped into action and got me soda and candy and stayed with me until I was okay. The other time I passed out and someone called an ambulance to help me.  

With your situation, your son really is in good hands.  I worked as a camp counselor when I was younger.  We were trained to watch out of the well being of all of our campers and keep an especially close eye on any child with a health issue.  At soccer camp there is probably an RN on duty to help with anything serious.  At diabetes camp they typically have diabetes doctors, nurses and educators volunteer and your child's diabetes will be monitored better than you can imagine.  

Part of being a parent is watching over your child, but also knowing that you can't protect them all the time.   I'm a Christian and while I do everything I can to keep my non-diabetic son safe, I also know that I'm not in control all the time and I trust God to watch over him.  

Take care.  You're doing a good job teaching your son to live a full life while managing his diabetes.

-Jenna