Need help on choosing a pump

My daughter was diagnosed at 14 mos old and is now 3.  I am not educated on pumps as we have been using pens.  Our dr suggested; Omnipod, Medtronic and Animas.  She thought that maybe the Medtronic or Animas would be best as they have tubing.  Please share with me your opnions and experiences.

Thanks

Angie

We use the Medtronic Minimed Revel.  We got this one because it can deliver the smallest amt. of insulin out there right now ( .025 units).  We have been very happy with it and also know several others that use this pump.  It seems to hold up well to toddler wear and tear and comes in different colors.  The sites we use are easy to change and don't seem to bother her at all anymore.  It also has all these neat functions that we are just now starting to use (like being able to bolus differently for foods that take longer to kick in like pizza).  We also use the sensor that goes with it and it helps me sleep a little better at night.  It's not always perfectly accurate but it's usually close enough that I feel comfortable knowing that it will alarm if she goes too low.  

The pump is about the size of a beeper and most kids wear it clipped to their clothes or in this little belt called a spi belt.  That has come in really handy for us since she wears dresses a lot.  We also sew pockets onto her shirts sometimes to keep things contained.

We have never used anything else (been dx for 6 months) but I would recommend it.  It's not hard to learn and she never needs shots.  Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions!

-Meredith

Omnipods might be too big for a 3-year-old, but they attach right to the skin without tubing.  Get a free sample from the www.myomnipod.com and see what you think.  

Just request a demo from both Medtronic and Animas.  They have similar disigns. The Animas One Touch Ping has a carb calculator, which is cool.  However it also requires a lot more button pushing than a Medtronic Minimed.  To see them in action look for "One Touch Ping" or "Minimed insulin pump" on youtube.  Lots of people have posted videos.

There's also a must have book called "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh.  Good general information.

Pumps are  little overwhelming at first, but most people adjust to them pretty quickly.  You can dose in tiny units, skip meals and set a base rate of insulin that's tailored to your daughter's needs.  I did shots for the first 25 years, but have used a pump for almost 10 years now.  Would never go back.

By the way, I've had type 1 since I was 4-years-old.  I'm 38 now with no complications and a great husband, (non-diabetic) son, and job.  Diabetes will cause your daughter to do things a little differently, but there's no reason she can't have a good, long, healthy life. 

Take care.  -Jenna

Thanks Jenna for the tips.  I love hearing stories about people who have lived their lives without complications, it keeps me hopeful.

Thanks very helpful, as time gets closer to my decision I may ask you additional questions.

Angie