Need advice on pumps and CGMs

I’ve had diabetes since I was 8, I’m 27 now, and I’ve been using multiple daily injections for the majority of my life. I don’t have insurance at all, but my step-mother wants to pay for me to get a pump and a continuous glucose monitor. But I need some advice.

Preferably, I’d want a wifeless pump. I don’t know if there’s such a thing as a wireless CGM. Also, it’s better if the components of the CGM are inexpensive. I don’t even know what they use… no strips, I’m guessing. I can get the insulin for the pump for free from Lilly Cares. Honestly, the CGM is more important to me than the pump, because I currently test about 8-10 times a day, and I would practically KILL for the ability to have alarms when my blood sugar drops or rises. That actually sounds like a little slice of heaven to me. What can you guys recommend?

The only wireless pump is the OmniPod which is only available in the states(i'm in canada), so I'm not sure what it's like or what it costs.

As for CGMs, they are all wireless, you have a sensor on your body similar to the pump site and you have a device that can clip to your belt that has to be within 9 meters or something at all times. I've only looked at Medtronic, as they are my only option in Canada for CGMs, and the sensors are like.. $50 for 4 or something. You're suppose to only keep them in for 3days, but it seems like everyone here makes them last about a week. I would look at Dexcom, I wish we had that option here in Canada, as their CGM seems to be highly recommended from what I can tell and seems to have a better system?

I would look into the monthly costs if I were you before you buy the actual machines. My insurance currently pays for my monthly dexcom/CGM supplies. But, a few years ago, when I was paying out of pocket, it was $240 a month (I think it's $260 now). At the time, I only managed to pay for a few months before it got too expensive, and this was after my parents had paid $800 for the CGM. I felt so guilty once I could no longer keep up with the monthly costs after they'd paid so much!

Good luck -- I hope you can find something that works for you. For me, I couldn't live w/o the dexcom now, but I only went back on b/c a) they upgraded the system, and b) insurance pays...