❤️❤️❤️my Tandem Pump & Deccom G6

It’s been about 2 months of using them together and I’m in love! My CDE taught me some great tips and I’m finally able to work out while My pump stays attached with no issues (*using exercise mode Special profile and a quick pre- workout air bolus!) And I never wake up low! I don’t even wake up in middle of the night anymore!

If u are considering Tandem and G6 don’t hesitate! I’m on an 18 mo payment plan too which helps a lot! Just wanted to throw out some kudos on a job well done by both of these companies!!!

Hi Sue @SChristou , I agree with you that the Control IQ is really a great AIDs. If you are throwing out praise for development, don’t just limit that praise to the manufacturers, but rather give thanks to the hard working Medical Scientists who made this all possible - Disclaimer: my daughter is a Medical Research Scientist. The CIQ algorithm was developed, and tested by the Medical Scientists at the Medical College of the University of Virginia with collaboration of many other researchers, testers, medical practitioners, and of course the JDRF.

Now a question, what is an “air bolus”?

Absolutely Dennis! Thanks to your daughter and others - the algorithms are amazing! Air bolus is when u disco give a bolus but cancel before any is delivered U trick the pump so that IF ur sugar rises for whatever reason during exercise u don’t get insulin delivered That really Happened to Me!
but Never again since learning that trick In addition to turning on exercise activity and my exercise profile 90 min on advance!

Dennis
Dennis Dacey, pwD
Member with T1D

April 1

Hi Sue @SChristou , I agree with you that the Control IQ is really a great AIDs. If you are throwing out praise for development, don’t just limit that praise to the manufacturers, but rather give thanks to the hard working Medical Scientists who made this all possible - Disclaimer: my daughter is a Medical Research Scientist. The CIQ algorithm was developed, and tested by the Medical Scientists at the Medical College of the University of Virginia with collaboration of many other researchers, testers, medical practitioners, and of course the JDRF.

Now a question, what is an “air bolus”?

I have another 10months until I am able to get a new system. The tslim with dexcom g6 is what I want. I am using the g6 with my 630g pump. I can’t wait!!!

I have had an issue with my sensor too! This is my first time using it and I have a lot of questions. I put my sensor in And it caused my stomach to bleed, I do not know if this is good or bad. I am only 13 years old and my mom got mad That it was bleeding, Which I understand because it could be dangerous. Please some reply to me and tell me if i did something wrong and what I’m supposed to do!!??

Hi Senanida @T1D_User1 you probably didn’t do anything wrong. Occasionally there will be some blood when a new sensor is implanted. It will still give accurate readings.

1 Like

Bleeding happens sometimes to everyone. If it bleeds a lot and really hurts, you probably need to replace it. In either case, you can call whichever company made the sensor and they can advise you.

1 Like

Dennis, Thanks for your reply on my question of not sensing when I am going low except for feeling tired and confused and the cgm/pump alarms! Can you explain how you used bio-feedback to train your brain to sense the lows? I agree better to not be very low in the first place. Congrats on surviving T1D for so many years! May many more come your way!

1 Like

Janine @Janine83965 the biofeedback I employed was done by making myself more aware of everything about me - how I was feeling, what I was feeling at all times - not only for “lows” but everything including air temperature, eyesight, wind on my face, a pebble under my foot, why I awakened from a sound sleep. After a while, I once again began feeling when my glucose was dropping. It took time.

Related to other bits you posted, you mentioned that now carry glucagon in your purse - if I came upon you when you were not coherent, how would I know to look for glucagon? Also, I hope you wear a bracelet, such as MedicAlert so anyone stumbling across you would know that you have diabetes - responding Medics are trained to look for a bracelet, and also glance at a phone. [For years, the lock-screen of my phone had an image of my MedicAlert emblem.]

1 Like

At least a couple of us were diagnosed before home blood glucose testing was invented. We needed to go by feel. It was a life or death proposition because, well, you never knew your actual blood sugar. So we did it. I took my insulin and ate when I got low with no way to test, for years.

3 Likes

@joe May I ask when this was? I got T1D spring 1982 and what i remember we had sticks that we used and wiped of the blood after i minute and then waited another minute to compare the color of the stick. it was as accurate as it was. But as you said we developed the skill to “feel” and I still know when I get over 7 because my lips starting to be dry.

2 Likes

Hi @tellblom, it was the end of 1978. The pump available was called an autosyringe and I glanced at it and said to the doctor, “I’ll pass”. You had to dilute your own insulin because it had 1, unchangeable constant basal rate, you turned a clicker for bolus, I thought it “might improve with time”. No home blood sugar meter, just urine monitoring. @Dennis (and others here) had to sharpen his own needles and sterilize them by boiling them- and got his blood sugar tested at the doctors office during checkups. You never know how tough you are until you have no other choice!

1 Like

@tellblom Hi Martin, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum!

Yeah, those new-fangled home blood sugar strips. As I recall, I got my first BS Checking strips in 1966 - they didn’t provide a “number”, but rather a shade of blue that deepened in intensity as BS increased. They gave a pretty good guess as long as the two timing periods were accurate and exactly the right amount of pressure was applied when wiping. And VERY expensive - each strip cost about two times the federal minimum wage rate.

The first meters I had were NOT digital, but rather helped determine how green the reaction point where a large drop of blood was applied on the wide strip that had been carefully times and wiped and slid back into the reader - lots of room for error.

As for pumps, the first I was shown was a backpack, and the next would be more bother than it was worth - well, that is what I told the doctor at Joslin. As it was, I held off getting a pump for 47 years - IN retrospect, I probably should have moved sooner. Now on my fourth pump, I’m enjoying NOT needing to give myself 2,000 injections per year.

Relative to your earlier post asking for new pump recommendations: I cant comment on the 780 G because I don’t know any of the trial testers. I really enjoy the results I’ve had during my initial 14 months with the Control IQ algorithm- moved my TIR from mid-80s% to mid-90s%.

2 Likes