My son

Hello Everyone: I have a 10 year old son with newly diagnosed Type1 Diabetes, who also has Asperger's, and ADHD. We are having the meds discussion here lately, he was off everything while hospitalized and recovering at home, now he's back to school and feeling better, and the Asperger"s and ADHD are making it hard to function peacefully around here, and the reports from school are not what we would hope for. It's a big change, of course, and it takes time to adjust, just wondering about other experiences with the behaviour meds/type 1 decision making.

Hy sylvymom,

I'm a type 1 (40+ years) with two sons with AS. Last fall we thought the more challenging of our sons had developed type 1, and were Quite Concerned (it turned out to be stress-induced high blood sugar).  

In my own experience, stimulants (for the ADHD) should not be too bad (I don't take anything myself except caffeine, but I don't think it would be a problem); the appetite suppression side effect that's common with stimulants could cause some problems, of course. Are there other meds you're worried about?

My wife has a friend with a daughter with PDDNOS and type 1 who might be a good resource for you.

Alan

Hi there-  I have a good friend who's nephew is type 1 and also has Aspergers.  I'll ask her for any information she has and pass it along.  And If I find out anything else I will let you know!  Good luck and keep asking questions!

I can help you with any info about aspergers. My 21 year old son has it. The best thing for a kid with that is to read all you can and get support. Our son is a home school graduate because of help and support.

I know my reply is late, but hopefully you still find it useful! :) YAY! Hat Trick! :)

I have been type 1 for 28 years, ADD for 18 years and I do believe I have a mild case of undiagnosed Asperger's. (my grandfather was a much more serious case of undiagnosed Asperger's)

I think my ADD meds HELP type 1.  Limited appetite leaves less room for error with insulin calculations     (ie-I'm not hungry so I will just eat cause I have to and this yogurt has 37g of carbs so that will be 2.5 units) Aspergers could also be a benefit because of the ritualistic routines that are necessary to function.

Combined benefits:

not hungry=you know he will not be "snacking" on junk

ritualistic routine=eats same thing, same amount, same temperature, same time=easy to program pump or easy to calculate hand delivered insulin dose

routine, routine, routine

ease the new stuff in, I am sure he will have it all calculated out and running like a machine in no time :)         I bet his A1C is perfecto sooner than later.