Metformin

Earlier this spring I began taking Metformin along with my insulin.  I'm pretty sure it's making a difference.  Do you take it?  If so, have you noticed many changes?  blood sugar levels, weight loss, side affects?  Curious.

I don't.  But I find this interesting.  Drugs.com says this about it: "Metformin is for people with type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes. Metformin is sometimes used in combination with insulin or other medications, but it is not for treating type 1 diabetes."  Was it prescribed a by a doctor?  Why do you take it?  Inquiring minds want to know!

that's interesting, I have never heard of a type 1 diabetic taking Metformin. I think that it works by increasing the bodies ability to use glucose and slowing aborption, so I guess it would make sense for it to help us when taken along with insulin. Did you have to take less insulin when you started taking Metformin?

Yes, my doctor prescribed it after we talked about various ways to help my ever climbing blood sugars.  It seems like it keep them at bay.  Metformin basically prevents the liver from producing glucose when you eat.  This has helped... but makes recovering from lows a little tougher because your body is fighting you.  I've also been able to lower my insulin levels a little bit.  My doctor says normally it doesn't have any impact on Type I's... but I've never been "normal"...lol

My doctor has prescibed it to me for possible PCOS and helping keep my levels more normal. Will keep y'all posted on how it goes..

it's commonly used to treat type 2.  some type 1 diabetics experience insulin resistance and liver issues and for want of a better description, have type 2 diabetes as well as type 1.    double blessed, I suppose.

if you need it, it is a good medicine and can help control blood sugar.  If you blood sugar is out of control and you have insulin sensitivity issues and liver dumping issues you would want to take it to improve your control and avoid complications.

If you don't need it then it's probably a good strategy to not take it because many people have side effects including brutal stomach cramps, vomiting and severe diarrhea.