Medtronic Infusion Sets - Please help!

Since I started pumping last year, I've been using the Medtronic QuickSet Infusion Sets, and I've had issues with kinked cannulas from day one! I thought it was my fault because of infusion sites or not injecting them properly, but after finally getting fed up and doing a little research, I realized that many people have had the same issue with the QuickSets. Yesterday my BG was between 260-310 - I had to change my site 4 times (which ISN'T cheap!!!). I obviously can't continue using a set that isn't going to deliver insulin!

One forum post suggested to call Medtronic's HelpLine and ask them for samples of other Infusion Sets. I did that this morning, and of course I needed a new prescrip from my Dr., and the Medtronic Staff told me that when they receive that Prescrip, I would be able to order samples of the infusion set I'd like to try. I am considering the Sure-T - but in all honesty I'm deathly afraid of having to inject it manually. 

Does anyone have any suggestions about what has/hasn't worked for them!?!? Pros/Cons?? The Medtronic Staff said they weren't allowed to give any advice or suggestions (understandably, I guess), but I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to commit to something without hearing some feedback. I tried a Google search of "Medtronic Infusion Set Reviews" but nothing really came up.... Please help :(

That's crazy that Medtronic wouldn't make recommendations or give you samples of other infusion sets!  They did for me, but it was about 10 years ago when I started using the pump.  Do you have access to a diabetes educator who could let you try samples?  

With QuickSets the canula bends when it's too close to muscle, so it's nothing you're doing wrong.  It causes highs but doesn't cause an occlusion alarm on your pump.  

I like the Silouhettes because it has a serter.  But the Sure Ts will allow you to use a lot more sites.  If you can get the prescriptions try them both.  You may also consider using the 6mm canula since it won't go as deep.  www.medtronicdiabetes.net/.../infusionsets

Thanks for the response Jenna! I did have a diabetes educator, but unfortunately I live in a different city now. Medtronic is sending me some samples of the sureT's - those seem to be a good option right now since I know they won't bend as easily, and if it's in a bad spot I can simply move it without wasting the set... I'm using the 6mm canula now, so i'm not entire sure where the issue is coming from! I will post again when I try the new set. Maybe I will ask my Dr. if I can get some samples from her, too. Thanks!

Think you don't have enough fat for the 6mm sets.  The biggest problem with pumps is they require enough skin and body fat to have plenty of infusion sites.  Don't know how people do it when the use a CGM too.  

I just started the pump two weeks ago and was having the same issue with the quickset infusion set.  Obviously it has caused major stress.  I was at the point where I was testing every 20 minutes because I just was so unconfident I was receiving the insulin.  I just received the T's two days ago and I think I feel a lot more comfortable with those.  

I have used the Quick-sets before.  They do seem to come out more often because the plastic top would get snagged or knocked around to much since it sticks out and the edges lift.  I use the Sof-sets and very rarely have cannula problems.  They are very reliable and resistant to outside traumas such as tight jeans or getting hit off something.  You could also try IV3000 clearsite tape over top for extra protection.

I've been using the T's for a week now, and I LOVE them. You DO have to change them more often, but it's worth it. My numbers have been better maintained and it's a major stress reliever! The only downside to these, though, is that they're manually inserted - with the quciksets, I used my back a lot as a site, and I'm not entirely sure how I'll insert these into my back by myself! I guess I'll have to teach my husband how?! :) Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Kaytie that is great! I had the opposite problem with mine. The silos were a nightmare for me causing bruising, bended cannula, bleeding. Back in 2001 they switched me from Silohettes to Quicksets and I have been using them for ten years now. Everyone really is different! It is extremely stressful when it is not working, but I am glad it worked out for you!!!

Manually is the way I did it way back in the mid 90's. Its not really as bad as your thinking. Doesn't hurt anymore that the quick set,

I am going through the same thing and its driving me nuts!! I don't mind using a manual insert at all, but I got the same response from Medtronic that Kaytie13 got.  I am going to see my Diabetes Educator on Monday, hopefully she will have some good info for me.  I am changing sets more often then ever and going thru test strips like crazy.  There has been absolutely no rhyme or reason to any of it for the last few weeks.  Right now I am using the Quickset, 6mm.  I am pretty thin and the 9mm were constantly kinking and giving me alarms.  Now I get less alarms, but I really don't feel like its working the way it should.

Kaytie13- do you find the T's to be inconvenient with the 2 pieces now?  I tried one once and I was very self conscious about having two "pads" and found the second one wouldn't stick as well.

I had the same trouble and was switched to the Silhouettes from Medtronic.   They have a 17mm and 13mm.  I started with the 17 and it hurt, but once they sold the 13, I switched and I don't feel them.  Plus, they do have a Sil-Serter, which slides them right under the skin.  

I dont' have alot of fat and am lean, and I can get them in my body and most of the time, they are fine.  THere are some times when they are in my leg that they bend on the third day, so I just change it as soon as I notice my blood sugars are higher or my leg starts to hurt.

I also have problems getting the CGM sensor in so I only wear it part time.  That hurts going in!!

**Warning- I just met with my diabetes educator and she knows about the problems I've had getting my infusion sets/CGM in.  She told me that she has a patient that lost 30 pounds.  When he went to put his sensor in his stomach, he punctured an artery and had to be hospitalized!!  Be careful with those areas on your stomach, there are some pretty important parts in there that shouldn't be poked!!

I have been having the same issue! My sugars were in the 500'son Sunday. I felt horribly sick! Havent seen numbers like that since I was diagnosed! So upsetting! I have tried the sure-t and it's ok- much prefer the quicksets. Not sure what to do :(

I have been using the quick sets since 2003 & tried the silhouettes when the quick sets kept kinking. Medtronic actually called back a bunch of the quick sets for the faulty cannulas. But I can't remember which lot numbers they were. I haven't had a problem since the recall exchange of the quick sets. The silhouettes were ok. I still prefer the quick sets. I did notice that if you put them in a place where there's more muscle than fat & skin tissue, the muscle makes it harder to go in & can sometimes kink it. Also, if you start getting harder patches from not rotating enough, it will cause the same.

ScrappyDy, it was lot 8

I've been using a pump since early 2000, and all these years later, the Quickset remains one of the WORST of the infusion sets I've used: I'm a lean guy, so I already have to be cautious about getting an infusion set with an IV that isn't going to kink, bend, or get yanked out whatever I do... no set has given me greater problems than this one. You tape it down-- then ideally, you use an adhesive to tape it again-- which already makes it REALLY difficult to tell/check if the IV has gotten messed up. Even if it IS working-- the problem is, you never know half the time-- once you've loosened the adhesives to check, the IV itself is loose, compromised, and can't go back into the skin. If it's warm weather, and your skin at the site starts to sweat, forget about it. And let's not forget the risk of infections at the site....  

However, I moved on to the Sure-T and these problems have disappeared overnight-- sure, it's a small, sharp needle, but the advantage is, if you're not sure it's working--or you put it in somewhere and it's hurting you--you can simply remove it, and put it back in (obviously, you'll want to disinfect it). The peace of mind/money you save not having to repeatedly change the HORRIBLE Quickset is worth it.