Medtronic Guardian CGM & Swimming

Hi guys! I’m new to the CGM by Medtronic. Am I able to swim laps with it on? Also, I have a son, can I lounge in the pool with it? I heard it only works for 30 min in water. Thanks! Also what do you use to keep the sticker from causing residue to the sensor?

hi @Mars you can swim with it. lounge in the pool, dive, etc. I used to use “unisolve” or acetone (nail polish remover)

1 Like

Thank you! Glad, I asked. Do you use any of the stickers to secure the sensor ? Which one is your favorite?

No worries! I did use an IV patch I think “Skin Grip” it was boring and clear. Amazon makes different stuff now. I must say I eventually gave up on Guardian and went to the Dexcom Dark Side.

1 Like

Why? The Dexcom was messing with my skin too much.

1 Like

Hi @Mars , the main reason was I wanted more accuracy with less “calibration “. I also had 2 really bad lows I couldn’t feel so I wanted to try it. Yes I am lucky I am not having adhesive issues at all.

1 Like

PDI wipes work wonders at getting the adhesive off the sensor. and skin, I usually keep them with my diabetes kit. https://www.amazon.com/1131957-Adhesive-PDI-Professional-Disposables/dp/B00D7BXU88/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=pdi+adhesive+remover+wipes&qid=1624974834&sr=8-4

1 Like

Wow, PDI is a lot cheaper than the Unisolve we’ve been using. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be sure to report back with a review. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the last few months I switched to Medtronic and just a few days ago found out there is a 30 minute limit for the connection between the 770g and the transmitter. After that, the pump stops trying to connect to the sensor/transmitter. You can disconnect the transmitter, reconnect and restart the session. According to my rep and a couple of people in their call center, that is the only way to fix it, VERY annoying to first find out when you’re on a trip.
My rep recommended not using their overtape if I was prone to skin issues. Instead I use patches, Fixic and simpatch are my favorites with just a couple of months use. I did use simpatch on my dexcom sensors too.

1 Like

I use a protective barrier wipe. It leaves a thin layer of protection on your skin before you apply the sensor or infusion set. I use Reliamed or Cardinal health brand. Again, Amazon.
And. Don’t ever stop swimming laps!!!

1 Like

I forgot. I switched to Dexcom CGM because it is the only cgm paid by Medicare.

1 Like

I find Dexcom works better for me. More accuracy, rarely needs calibration at all (though I still do just to be sure), lasts longer, and much less skin irritation. But we’re all different. The Medtronic adhesive always caused a rash for me, but the Dexcom doesn’t bother my skin at all.

Back when I used Medtronic, I used Nexcare transparent dressing. They’re clear, waterproof, and just the right size to fit over the G3 sensor. It’s not obvious, but the outer square of paper can be removed once the patch has been applied. It’s there so nurses have something to write on, I think, but it’s not at all necessary, and it’s designed to peel off easily.

1 Like