Medtronic Guardian 3 vs. Enlite 2

Hello,

I posted a similar thing in the Insulin Pump group because I did not know which would be more applicable to these questions.

I am thinking about getting the Medtronic 670G hybrid closed loop pump, however, my concern is solely about the Guardian Sensor 3 (currently I’m using the Dexcom G4 sensor with my Animas Vibe pump). The readings on the Enlite from what I’ve been told from various people are complete garbage, however, they recently in the last couple months released the Guardian 3. In reading the specs and the FDA report, the MDA percentage is on par with the Dexcom G5 (around 11%), so it should be pretty accurate.

Is anyone able to confirm that this is the case? Has anyone had issues with the Guardian 3?

The Guardian 3 is part of the reason I’m switching and I don’t trust the Enlite 2, so I want to make sure that I’m making the right choice.

Thanks for all of your insight!
-Mike

Hi,
I’m sorry I have NO experience with the DEX but I have recently upgraded from the enlight sensor to the Guardian and I can say it is much more accurate! I was ready to throw the Enlite sensors out the window. The Guardian. for me, is so much closer to real numbers and I feel more confident with it.
That’s about all I can offer you for insight :smiley:

I am curious myself about the Guardian. Recently, the transmitter for my Enlite broke. Medtronic told me I would have to wait 18 weeks to get a new one, or I could get a 630G or 670G. the entire 670G system is not available until November. Luckily I had an old transmitter that still works. I’m so frustrated. I wish some organization would hold a seminar where each pump/CGM company would have demonstrations so you could compare and make a choice. Getting these things sight unseen is difficult and with the insurance and price hurdles, you can’t make these choices lightly.

I’m sorry I have NO experience with the DEX but I have recently upgraded from the enlight sensor to the Guardian and I can say it is much more accurate!

In terms of that, when you say much more accurate – how far off have you seen it go?

My concern is this: it reads me at 200 but I am actually 100 (as I heard would happen with the Enlite 2), so the 670G starts ramping up the basal when it should keep it at a steady level (or 250 instead of let’s say 125). I realize extreme examples but if we are leaving the decision up to a sensor and the sensor is not performing properly, that’s my main concern especially because I work nights and I go low a lot when I sleep during the day.

Thanks!!

-Mike

I’m on 670G and a Guardian 3 transmitter. I am now switched to full auto mode in the past week (meaning the pump relies on and acts on the accurate data of the Guardian sensor and transmitter). I was previously on a 630G and the Enlite sensor. Although I haven’t been on the Guardian 3 and 670G long enough to say definitively, so far my experience is that the Guardian 3 is MUCH more accurate than the Enlite, the warmup period shorter and tracks much closer to BG/meter readings. Where I’ve seen the margin of error increase is IF BG goes above 200…which hopefully won’t happen often in auto mode and if I’m diligent around my boluses, carb counting, etc.

I see a differential of 2 to 20 points. That’s pretty good compared to the previous version and even compared to someone I know uses the Dexcom. BUT that being said, I live a low carb lifestyle and I rarely see extreem highs. eating low carb (10 - 20grams per meal) allows me more control. Also, being on a pump has been amazing as far as lows. I experienced lows on injections as well as when first starting the pump. Now on the pump I have my basal rates perfect and I no longer experience lows (knock on wood). I could even go on a fast if required and be OK. That is what basal is all about, trying to mimic the actions of the real pancreas for normal activities (not accounting for food). We still need to bolus for meals even on this new system.

I am in the same boat as timg; have never had a dexcom, and also recently switched from 630g with enlite sensor to 670g with guardian and have been in auto mode for about 3 weeks. I can’t say I had a lot of issues with the enlite being way off, except as it got close to the end of its life, then I felt the numbers were not very accurate. I would echo what tim said about the biggest differences being when numbers are about 200. Another difference with the guardian is that it sometimes requires you to “Enter BG”, not necessarily to calibrate the sensor, but to sort of “check itself” and I feel like these really help to keep it accurate. I have been very pleased and surprised by its accuracy and have experienced many fewer lows than before.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, when you both mention IF BG goes above 200…, how off are you talking about? 2-20 points as noted above? Farther?

Just curious as I’m only trying to make the best decision possible especially considering this is a 4-year commitment.

I am a long time t1 and CGM user but Medtronic has really dropped the ball on this poorly rolled out 670g and sensor was on the priority list from 630 still no 670 then months ago problems with CGM sensor elite using g2 sensor finally after getting new sensors new transmitter and replace 630 reading back on track extremely hard to get anyone on phone but seems to be improving research article today noted 33 percent of their sensors failed in depth article on sensor freezing and issue of computation used to extrapolate is to bs was enlightening to realize how complicated it is to derive an accurate bs

Unfortunately i’m a little confused by what you wrote (partially because there is no punctuation) and was hoping you could clarify. I’m asking about the Guardian 3, but you are referencing the old crappy Enlite 2.

To which was the article you are referring? I’m interested in checking it out. Is it possible to get a link?

Thanks!