Living far away with diabetes

I have been a diabetic for ten years. two years ago, me and my family moved from New Jersey to Switzerland. In the past two years I have lived here, I have only met one other diabetic. I feel kind of strange here because barely anyone else has t1 diabetes, and there are no diabetes research foundations here. I find myself explaining a lot about diabetes - in school especially. Just wondering - is there anyone else with the same situation? any advice?? ...

hey!! well i am the only kid in my school with type one diabetes too. i also have to explain a lot because not a lot of people know what it is. but what i do is if  anyone says somethinglike "oh dont u have diabetes?" ill explain to them that type 1 is different from type 2 and that i didnt get it from being overweight or from eating too much sugar because its important for them to know that. i also get asked a lot of questions if people see my pump. what i usually say is that it is my medicine and leave it at that, or ill tell them that i am a TYPE ONE diabetic and it gives me my insulin. hope that helps!!