Law enforcement custody

Bc of my own recent terrible experience of hospitalization as a T1 I have become familiar with the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Care for Hospitalized Type 1s. After reading about another member’s horrible experience of incarceration with T1 bc of intoxication I’ve begun to wonder if ADA has ever developed Standards of Care for People with T1 who are detained by law enforcement or incarcerated. If any member knows Standards have been developed please reply. I don’t want to duplicate efforts.

Hi, Henry, and I don’t know if they have or not, but the original poster from 2009 who said “Don’t get arrested. Ever.” absolutely had it right.

Incarceration facilities have a constitutional duty to provide you with “adequate” healthcare, but that’s not a super-high bar. I did a quick search and found this article from the aclu back in 2005, just as one example of generic healthcare advocacy on behalf of incarcerated people:

Henry @Hen51 , there are many posted stories or “horror” posted about hospitals, law enforcement, jailors, “educated” doctors, etc. not recognizing signs of simple “insulin reaction” - the term commonly used when you and I were diagnosed.

You mention the ADA “Standard of Care”, published annually to which I’ve posted many references over the years and you have just now taken time to read. The real question is, how many doctors, including so-called expert endocrinologists, are aware of this document? I personally have brought the Standards of Care to the attention of medical-practitioners. Diabetes Advocacy is what is needed is what is needed, and that is up to all of us.

It is not the purpose of the ADA to set standard of care - the ADA instead makes provision for each of us to Advocate on our own behalf. Making that more simple for people living with diabetes, is the fact that The Americans With Disabilities Act [The ADA, P.L. 101-336] makes reference to only one disease by name - that one disease which is the one that binds us here together may be there because of my contribution to a Senate Panel drafting that legislation.

The bottom line, is Advocacy - spreading the word far and wide, not just in the choir. The ADA, the JDRF, and several other groups are constantly looking for all of us to advocate and spread the word about diabetes in general, and on occasion to speak [write] on proposed issues.

1 Like

Henry.
Would love to forward an ongoing Diabetes T1 Care Directive currently being worked on at USC. I was interviewed for this research. It focuses especially on older T1 like you and I. I was diagnosed at the age of 5 in 1960.
Send me your email and I will forward to you. It focuses on care received in the hospital setting where majority of diabetics lose control of there own care. There is an attempt to create a directive to manage our blood sugars on our own while hospitalized so long as we are able. This of course may have other applications. Best.
Richard
rhf121@gmail.com

This article was online today. In this case the individual was not diabetic but it does hilight the need for medical awareness training and response.