My Own Prison

No I'm not going to start singing Creed to you but if you wish to hear the song it will make a good background for my story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgP4pmUlKE

I was released from Federal Prison last week. I was incarcerated for 9 months and found Not Guilty by a 12 person Unanimous jury. Acquitted is what they call it meaning that I was falsely imprisoned and should have never been charged.

Diabetes is barely recognized in the system. Care is beyond horrible for diabetics. All meals consist of 4 pieces of white bread and heapings of white rice. This is because its cheap for them to buy and that cheapness doesn't buy a diabetic any extra time health wise. A diabetic tray drops the small piece of cake off of the tray and replaces it with 4 more pieces of white bread. Totalling 8 pieces of white bread on my tray. Now you have to eat or you get sick and starve as you all know but look what you have to choose from. There is a spoonfull of vegetables on the tray and some fake kind of meat or what not. Your sugar has no choice but to ascend.

Insulin injections are given when the facility thinks you should have them. You are pretty much left to guess what you number might be. We are not psychic so it is a scary feeling. Your usual routine on the streets and your sliding scale mean nothing in there. They create your new scale and regiment. Everything is turned upside down in your world. All day long your sugars go up and you feel like death and there is nothing you can do about it until medical calls you down for the next sugar test and injection. How I didnt get d.k.a. blows my mind. My sugars were always 300+. And medical leaves at 10pm which means you cant get your sugar checked or get insulin after that point and if you cant tell whether you are high or low til 7am when they return...you dont know whether to eat something or exercise in your cell. Its a feeling of panic when they leave and you are afraid to go to sleep.

My court was 3 hours up and 3 hours back from the prison. So for approximately 10 hours you are away from the facility or medical. The courts have no medical staff or diabetes care "anythings". Lunch at court is a white roll and some kind of meat. Thats not the problem though. The problem is you are not allowed to bring your meter or insulin to court with you. And I had a possible 3 week trial which ended up being 2 weeks. Between stress and high carb food for lunch and having no meter or means to correct your sugar makes you beyond nervous and mental.

Well earlier on before trial I'd say 3 months earlier I finally won a greivance through the prison. I fought for the rights of a diabetic like you can't imagine. I got it so that diabetics have the option to bring a kit with insulin and a monitor and glucose tabs. It is a small victory on my end but possibly a life changing decision for the diabetic who has an episode in court. I don't know what diabetics were doing before I came through on this small step.

Also I filed grievances against Keefe Commisary/Canteen. The only sugar free thing on that whole list to buy from was a tiny bag of candy. That does not prove as a good snack nor a filling one. The whole list is full of sweets and high carb atrocities. Once again one is left to starve while the rest of population devours candy, chips, ramen soups etc.....

So my grievance with that went in and I dont know what became of it. Probably nothing. But I tried. I'm so happy to be out and have been found not guilty as I have claimed for 9 months now. My concern is for other diabetics locked up and receiving NO care. Something has to be done and followed through and not just talked about. This is a serious issue and can cost someones life quickly. I would not wish that kind of death on anyone. I dont know what can be done to help diabetics locked up but I will do whatever it takes if someone has an idea.

Thank you for hearing my story.

NOT GUILTY!!!

Wow - thanks for sharing your story, and congrats to you for surviving and trying to make something positive out of your time there.  I'm sharing this link with others, because I think a lot of us have no idea what goes on in a situation like this.

Wow, what a story! I had no idea that is how they treat people with a chronic illness in prison. Sounded like a complete nightmare. And good for you, fighting for prison rights.

Thanks for sharing. You were in a terrible situation, but still did everything you could to improve it for other diabetics. That takes a lot of courage, especially in a prison system where it sounds like they don't really care. Despite the circumstances, I'm glad to hear you survived fairly well trying to take care of everything on your own.

I can't even imagine how scared you must have been w/o medical care! I'd heard horror stories of D care in prisons, but your personal story really brought it home for me. Have you thought about pairing with JDRF or another advocacy group to bring your story to legislators? It's very moving to hear about it from someone who has lived it, and maybe you could help be part of a change.

Sarah this is why I am happy to get feedback here to offer ideas. I would have no clue where to start when it comes to this. I would be more than happy to talk about this with whomever. Something needs to be done and it needs to be fast. Diabetes is used against a prisoner as if it is a joke. When you are sick and hurting and need help...the apt the correction officers are to deny you the help. You are just a prisoner in their eyes so they dont look at you as a human being. If we can come up with a game plan of attack here I will be more than happy and willing to lead the way in to this fight. The unknown damages that probably occurred inside my body during those 9 months....how can I prove it? I cant but I know it happened.

Thank you to all who have listened and responded. Whatever it takes to protect diabetics wherever they are it is up to us to fight for their rights. Some people are in situations where they have no voice or say.

Thanks for sharing your story it is never easy. As many people are uneducated about T1 it is obvious it is even worse behind bars. You really should push this thing. That is a horrible situation guilty or not guilty. Nobody should be treated like that. I think your not guilty plea is a sign to go further with this. Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you find an outlet for this. :)

Wow, I had no idea that medical care in prision was so lacking!  I am sorry you had to go through all of that!  And I'm with the others--contact JDRF and see what they think and if there's any kind of legislation that could be discussed.  Welcome, and thanks for sharing!

Wow, I'm embarrassed to say this never occurred to me.  Thanks for sharing your story. 

Wow, this story had me SO MAD.  And then I just about cheered for you at my desk when you said you won the fight for diabetics to have a kit at court!  How in God's name could it be LEGAL for them to give you no food choice but one including grain and not allow you the hormone you need to live in the face of that food?!  And the prison doesn't sound any better.

Was all of this in Connecticut?  (I notice that's where your profile places you.)  It makes me want to look into what prisons in my own state (Oklahoma) does, or doesn't do, for diabetics.

This country is sliding towards a 19th century Dickensian nightmare. I'm sure you could find thousands of our fellow citizens that would

happily justify your treatment.

Tauni no one can think of everything. Thats why Juvenation is so important. People from all different walks are coming in with different experiences. Its what we do from here on in about it that matters.

Elizabeth yes this was in Connecticut but also Rhode Island. I guarantee its probably the same everywhere. When you are on the inside you get lost amongst the mix. You are an i.d. number and thats about it. No one notices you and the officers do Not care at all.

I'm with Elizabeth - this stuff makes me so angry!  What a just justice system we have here in America!  

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you win whatever battles you fight next against these atrocities.

Really glad to hear you were able to get things straightened out and get out of there.  That's one of my greatest fears in life is being wrongly accused and convicted and sent to the big house.  I believe that it probably happens more than we want to think.

Thanks for doing what you're doing to try to raise awareness.

I hope you are suing the state and can get adequate compensation for the wrongs put on you by the state.

DD it happens to so many people. Its easy to sit and read a news story and believe it no matter how crazy it sounds until you are the person being talked about and you realize how much bull and lies are printed. And because of the lies that people cant rationalize against and say "that just sounds too crazy" many people go to prison. And defense costs so much that you cant fight your way out and prove your innocence. Its a scary situation especially when you realize how much other people dont care. You are on your own. I was happy to win a grievance but this is a small battle won in a big war.

My lawyer and I are in the beginning phases of the lawsuit. And I assure you that if im compensated well like I should be....JDRF will be getting a good portion of it.

[quote user="TT1488"]

Sarah this is why I am happy to get feedback here to offer ideas. I would have no clue where to start when it comes to this. I would be more than happy to talk about this with whomever. Something needs to be done and it needs to be fast. Diabetes is used against a prisoner as if it is a joke. When you are sick and hurting and need help...the apt the correction officers are to deny you the help. You are just a prisoner in their eyes so they dont look at you as a human being. If we can come up with a game plan of attack here I will be more than happy and willing to lead the way in to this fight. The unknown damages that probably occurred inside my body during those 9 months....how can I prove it? I cant but I know it happened.

[/quote]

I'm glad to hear you're bringing a lawsuit, because sadly, that may be the only way to change things. If go go to JDRF.org, they have employees who work on advocacy, lobbying on the HIll, etc. I'd give their main number a call, tell them your story, and ask if there's anyone you could speak to. It seems like if you got the right person, they'd definitely want to get involved.

I know ADA has legal resources too, so that may be another group to contact.

It seems like from all your suffering, it would be amazing to try to do something positive from it, like you're already trying to do!

TT1488, I don't know how to help you tp have a successful court action, but I wish you the very best. I have read about poor treatment of diabetics online, perhaps on another diabetes site. I suggest that you tell your story (copy and paste) on several other diabetes sites. If you are interested, I will give you the links to several good ones. I can give them to you in a message on your profile page.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself so you can be a healthy old geezer like me someday. Lol! I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy.

Richard

Sarah thank you I will start contacting people and seeing what routes I can take. Im getting ideas now and have a path thanks to Juvenation.

Richard thank you very much. I would love to have those links and you can send them any which way is convenient for you. Just by coming on here a new awareness was raised. Now on to the rest.

65 years with D. Bless you!

TT

Glad to hear you made it of prison and can start feeling  better with improved control.  That is awful how they can put lives in jeopardy that way.  I always thought people  had to be convicted of a crime first to go to prison and were just sitting in jail beforehand before a trial.

TT,

So sad to hear about your story.  Try to contact the Disabilities advocates in your home town as well.  Diabetics are now covered by the disabilities law.  The advocates there, might be able to help you as well.  Also, if you have a community action program in your community, they should be able to help you or find soeone who can.