Just Need Someone to Talk To

Hey Megan! 21-year old here who’s had T1D for 13 years and is really in the same boat as you as far as the anxiety and fears.

I don’t have a lot of help on the insurance front because I’m freaking out too, but I will tell you this: your health is not a burden. Your need to take care of your health and stay alive is not a burden. Anyone who labels you as a burden is not worth the energy, in my opinion. I have cycled through friends and relationships because of this, and have been able to surround myself with a strong supportive group of people who I know want me to be safe and healthy more than anything else, and never see me taking care of myself as a burden. If your anxiety is stopping you from living your daily life and inhibiting you, I would talk to a professional if you feel comfortable. I have worked through a lot of my health anxieties with a therapist, and it was one of the most incredible experiences I’ve ever had (have been doing it for about 4 years for anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other health issues).

For young adults like us, T1D is another internship. We spend a lot of time on it and work to make sure everything is perfect and all our “work” is done. We learn from it, we grow from it, and we are better from it. If you need someone to talk to and it gets overwhelming, my inbox is always open! (TO ANYONE!)

Hi Megan,

I know I’m coming in late to this discussion, but I just wanted to point out that if you are covered on your parent’s insurance policy, you should be offered a policy of your own when you become too old to be covered as a dependent. I know this is what happened to me. Contact the insurance company and ask what their policy is when a dependent ages out of coverage. That way you’ll know what to expect when the time comes.

Pam K.
T1D 54+ yrs and counting!