JDRF Adult Type 1 Toolkit and Initiative

Hey everyone, 

JDRF would like the Juvenation community, and specifically adults with type 1 diabetes, to know that we've recently launched a new Adult Type 1 Initiative.  Through the initiative, JDRF will meet an important need by providing information, support, and resources specifically for adults with type 1.

As part of the initiative, we've developed a comprehensive Adult Type 1 Toolkit, that serves as a guide for both newly diagnosed adults as well as adults with established type 1 diabetes.  Download your free copy today at:  www.jdrf.org/adults.

Thanks for checking it out, and let us know what you think!

I will as a fairly new type1, 1 1/2 years. I was diagnosed as an adult, if you think 52 is adult. LOL

I interpret Gary's message, and also Gina's separate email, to be directed to all who are currently adults and were diagnosed as Type 1, whenever they were diagnosed. I was not an adult when I was dx at age 10, but there can be no question that I am now an adult (age 77), and I assume that I am one of those for whom the toolkit is intended.

Tom

There is a small problem when registering for the Toolkit if you live in Canada though. It assumes we all live in the USA so it asks for a typical USA Zip code which we don't have here in Canada. The way I got around that is by just putting in 12345 for a Zip code and in the "City" category I put in the province and country in there as well so that they are very well aware that I am not in the USA. It worked out and I did get the link eventually. I am now happy to say that I will print this off and let those close to me on a daily basis have a quick review for their perusal. I especially find the mood swings info quite informative as that does tend to happen to me a lot and it can explain it to those near me.

Thanks!

I submitted my info and got my download link. Now having looked it over, Pretty darn good!!!! My only suggestion is this. In The Diabetes Dictionary, and I quote ( sounds real  formal huh?? LOL) "IDDM usually occurs in children and adults who are under the age of 30." I would like to see, "IDDM usually occurs in children and adults who are under the age of 30, but can happen at any age.  It's just me I feel so left out, just kidding!!!  But having been dx'ed at age 52, I was not under the age of 30 ( I WISH !!!!)  Thanks to everybody who worked on this. I like it!!!!!

[quote user="Bernie"]

There is a small problem when registering for the Toolkit if you live in Canada though. It assumes we all live in the USA so it asks for a typical USA Zip code which we don't have here in Canada. The way I got around that is by just putting in 12345 for a Zip code and in the "City" category I put in the province and country in there as well so that they are very well aware that I am not in the USA. It worked out and I did get the link eventually. I am now happy to say that I will print this off and let those close to me on a daily basis have a quick review for their perusal. I especially find the mood swings info quite informative as that does tend to happen to me a lot and it can explain it to those near me.

Thanks!

[/quote]

i had to do the same thing. good thing it's not a booklet they mail out!!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback about JDRF's Adult Type 1 Toolkit.

I wanted to let you know that the issue with the form on the JDRF website to download the toolkit has been resolved.  The form now accepts phone numbers up to 12 digits long, international postal codes of up to ten characters, and has an optional 'Country' field.  People from all over the world should now be able to download the toolkit without any issues at www.jdrf.org/adults.

Thank you for bringing this oversight to our attention.  This is why the community's feedback is so valuable!

Thanks for this resource.  I was diagnosed less than a year ago at 22 years old, and this resource has definitely been more beneficial than many of the "kid-based" books written for young children.