Insulin Resistance.....sucks

I have just rounded the last corner of my pregnancy and started my 3rd trimester this week! We are getting so excited to meet our little guy. However, no sooner had I started the 3rd trimester, I almost would have thought that my pump stopped working. I have made small adjustments to my bolus ratios thusfar, but the past couple weeks I have dove nose-first into insulin resistance! ....and is it crappy!

I'm sure you ladies have all gone through this too, it is just so hard comprehend that a simple calculation that makes sense and that has worked for so long has totally gone out the window. Nonetheless, to admit it's frustrating is an understatement. First my boluses weren't covering my food--so we made an adjustment. Then my before-meal readings crept up--so we made a basal adjustment. Another bolus adjustment, another basal adjustment, another bolus adjustment......!!! Now, when I think that my sugars are fine and starting to get under better control-- it comes time to test 1 hour after meals to make sure I am 120 or under, it skyrockets up again. So now I'm thinking I need to change my correction dose. I correct, test again, and STILL HIGH. Also, I have had to extend my bolus with every meal, because otherwise then I shoot high again-- and it always happens 1-2 hours after. Hmmmff.

This is all very frustrating, but I know once I hold our little boy it will all be worth it. I am trying to stay on top of my sugars, testing, testing, testing, and watching my Dexcom like a hawk. Just one more trimester. It'll all work out. Just needed to vent. Being pregnant has been quite the adventure and I know I can handle things like this, it just gets frustrating. Grrr.

Kelly

You're doing exactly what you're supposed to and it will all work out great.  I remember taking over 100u a day in the last trimester and always having to change my infusion sets because my pump only holds 150u.

All that progesterone that's fighting you insulin is helping your baby get big and helping your body prepare for the birth.  It's a blessing in disguise!  

Take care and before you know it your beautiful baby will be here.

Kelly,

I am only 16 weeks along and I am dreading insulin resistance! I know how much I beat myself up over a little flaw. I think just keep your eye on the prize and remember that it will all be worth it in the end. Sounds like you are doing a great job!!!

A good way to look at those climbing sugars is that your placenta is still working.... it doesn't make it any easier to deal with, but it's just the way it is for us. For me, my drastic jumps started at 16 weeks rather than waiting to begin in the third trimester. It'll be over before you know it and you'll have your little fella and that's the whole point, healthy you, healthy baby! Hang in there!

Hi Kelly,

I'm going through the exact same thing.  I am 30 weeks along and my basal rate is twice what it was before I got pregnant and I now take my bolus insulin via syringe since otherwise I would be changing my infusion set every day!  I feel your frustration.  It has been difficult.  I am constantly correcting (I'm wearing sensors all of the time - and I get beeps telling me I'm high and have to correct) and I'm adjusting my rates almost daily.  Insulin resistance is not fun.  Anyways, I just thought I would let you know that I can sympathize and I wish you all the best.  

~ Tracy.

Thanks, girls! It's nice to know that I am not alone. I have been very lucky so far and shouldn't complain. I guess it proves, besides the T1 that I have, that my body is working and doing what it is supposed to do. Take care =)

--Kelly