Infusion Question

I am in the process of getting an Animas Ping (I am currently on shots).  I tried an insulin pump approximately 6.5 years ago, but had major problems with the pump software and then with the infusion tube bending and insulin not being delievered.  After about a month of trying to get the infusion set not to bend (my doctor tried to help to no avail and the pump company's representative canceled the appointment that I was supposed to have with her to try to help me with my problem), I gave up and went back to shots.

Now that I am going to try the pump again, I am really nervous about this problem happening again.  So my question is, has anyone had this problem with their infusion tubing bending and not getting insulin delivery?  If so, does it happen often?  Is there something that you tried differently that worked?

Thanks!

if your talking about the tiny cannula tube, sometimes if you insert it in a bad place. if you are talking about the actual tubing then no i haven't had a problem. i think it may be in how it is placed. don't just let it hang out, the best thing to do as i have said in another thread, tuck the tubing in the waist band of your underwear. i find that easy and it gives you more flexibility in how much slack you want. 

I'm talking about the tiny cannula tube, and it seemed that no matter where I placed it (I only tried it in my stomach, because that it where I was most comfortable giving myself shots), it bent over.  One of the people I am working with on the pump is an actual pump user, so I'll try talking with him about where to place the set.  Thanks!

Minimed paradigm 722 user :-),  The pump is great these days.  I only know about the minimed models, but I do know compared to a few years ago, there have been major improvements.

For instance, you used to have to insert the sites manually depending on how long ago you were on the pump.  Now most companies have insertion devices (spring loaded tool that auto injects the infusion set).

I have had some problems with my pump, but nothing that could not be eventually resolved.  somtimes the site can clog, or it can be pulled out if you drop your pump while it is attached to you.  

I have never had a problem with the cannula tube bending with minimed "silhouette" infusion sites, and that is all I have ever used.

I really dont know anything about Animas.  Sorry. 

But I hope that helps.  Good luck with the pump ;-)

I hope it all goes well and that you have a good experience with it.

i have a ping and have not had issues with the cannula. my educators were awesome at helping me.  the trick for me is getting the right length (6mm or 9mm) depending on where i'm placing it.  i usually use my sides and abdomen and as a rule of thumb, the higher up i go...ie, less subq, the smaller the cannula. i try to stay really still when i inject it, as i sometimes flinch at the pop sound, but the infusion sets i use (inset) are awesome, easy to disconnect, remove, etc.  hope that helps. i've only been dx'd since april 08, been pumping since october and LOVE it!

[quote user="Christie"]

I'm talking about the tiny cannula tube, and it seemed that no matter where I placed it (I only tried it in my stomach, because that it where I was most comfortable giving myself shots), it bent over.  One of the people I am working with on the pump is an actual pump user, so I'll try talking with him about where to place the set.  Thanks!

[/quote]

i'd try it in more fatty areas like your thighs or close to your stomach on your hips or you can even put it on your lower back, i too like it in my stomach but it would hurt so i switched it to the sides of my stomach like on my hips. i also put my sites on my legs. thigh area. 

Thanks everyone for the advice!  It makes me a feel a lot more confident about trying the pump again!