If you need a laugh…

I was at a wedding last weekend and was standing around the fruit and veggie table when I heard the girl, probabily about 25 years old, next to me say “I have such a sweet tooth, John swears I have Diabetes” I laughed...out loud!   :)

ahaaaaa. i think i would have to lol.

LOL....oh that's good!!!

that is so funny hahahh :D

HA HA. i love it.

Here's another one for a laugh.

I told one of my professors the other day that I was diabetic and that I wear an insulin pump just so he would know in case it went off one day or if I passed out. Anyway, we were talking about it for a few minutes and he says "So you've dealt with this for a pretty long time?" I said "No, I was just diagnosed in February of this year." He says "So you're in between type 1 and type 2?"

Uhhhhh? No, I'm type 1. People think just because I'm 20 that it isn't type 1 because I'm not a kid.

[quote user="Courtney"]

I told one of my professors the other day that I was diabetic and that I wear an insulin pump just so he would know in case it went off one day or if I passed out. Anyway, we were talking about it for a few minutes and he says "So you've dealt with this for a pretty long time?" I said "No, I was just diagnosed in February of this year." He says "So you're in between type 1 and type 2?"

Uhhhhh? No, I'm type 1. People think just because I'm 20 that it isn't type 1 because I'm not a kid.

[/quote]

I deal with that too. Oh the perks of being diagnosed in college...You can't blame people for their ignorance really though. People only ever hear of Juvenile Diabetes for Type 1 and then Type 2 to them is when you get Diabetes after a certain age (whenever you aren't a juvenile?). Gotta educate them about adult onset for Type 1. My roommate still thinks I have Type 2...but it's probably the THC clouding his mind.

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

I deal with that too. Oh the perks of being diagnosed in college...You can't blame people for their ignorance really though. People only ever hear of Juvenile Diabetes for Type 1 and then Type 2 to them is when you get Diabetes after a certain age (whenever you aren't a juvenile?). Gotta educate them about adult onset for Type 1. My roommate still thinks I have Type 2...but it's probably the THC clouding his mind.

[/quote]

I get this too, a lot. I run into people that I went to elementary school with and they'll ask "you haven't grown out of that yet?".

I hope ALL of you young T1s will eventually be faced with explaining how, even though you are long past your juvenile years, nevertheless, you are a T1.

[quote user="Tom"]

I hope ALL of you young T1s will eventually be faced with explaining how, even though you are long past your juvenile years, nevertheless, you are a T1.

[/quote]

I don't like to use the word juvenile diabetes, to me it's insulin dependent. And JDRF even uses insulin dependent to describe type 1. And I try to explain to people that people with type 2 can occasionally use insulin but may also be able to control it with diet and exercise unlike us type 1's.

[quote user="Courtney"]

I don't like to use the word juvenile diabetes, to me it's insulin dependent. And JDRF even uses insulin dependent to describe type 1. And I try to explain to people that people with type 2 can occasionally use insulin but may also be able to control it with diet and exercise unlike us type 1's.

[/quote]

I do something very similar. I say I have an autoimmune disease, if I need or want to be more specific I say; known as type 1 diabetes.

Since I were diagnosted with Diabetes a good friend of mine came to me and told me that she probably has Diabetes too. Just because she's drinking a lot (what I did too before I got my Insulin). That happen's almost every day :) It's quite funny how they react.

The problem is, another friend told me the same, but she was pregnant (with 17). Sometimes the sings are not for Diabetes, maybe I'm just pregnant :D

My daughter started at a new school this week.  I was waiting to see if the school nurse really would inform her teachers of her diagnosis or if Rebecca would talk to her teachers personally.  She is a senior and is wanting to be discreet about her diabetes.  On Wednesday, her psychology teacher was talking about biologic aspects of something and used diabetes as an example.  He explained that his son had Type one and that it was a nervous system disorder.  His inaccurate comment motivated her to approach the teacher and share that she had Type one.  She went on to tell him she understood it to be an autoimmune disorder that affected the endocrine systems.  He told her no, it was definetly a nervous system issue.  Kind of sucks if his son does have type one and his dad is that confused. 

Well, good for your daughter to stand up and at least try. Very brave!!

I get that too. I was diagnosed in high school and moving to college was a hard time because all the people I was meeting kinda looked at me strange as to why I always wore a beeper. Thankfully,  its not so big of a deal now! However, I still get the you still have juvenile diabetes? When do you grow out of that and get to adult diabetes.....ugh!

i've never referred to it as "juvenile" diabetes. i always call it "type 1." when people ask about the difference, i explain about insulin. some people ask if it's the kind you get as a kid, and i just tell them it's possible, but you can be diagnosed at any age. i don't have too many problems. guess i'm lucky :o)

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think they advertise too much for Products for type two and everyone gets them mixed up when tlking to me

Funny thing. I'm in a coding class, and we are discusing 250.X1(type 1) vs. 250.X2(type 2). Some call type 1 as IDDM (Insulin Dependent Diabetes Meltusis). But there are type 2 out there that have decided to use insulin in their normal day-to-day routin (maybe rumor). But then people would have them coded as 250.X1(or IDDM) because they become dependent on insulin, even though they are type 2. Anyone know coding and this issue? Is it a rumor about type 2 and insulin? Will the distinction become blured, and the world think I'm just a lazy fat gal who got this disease because I'm fat, not i'm fat because I got this at nine?

Seriously, can't anyone love me because I've lived over 18 years with this? I can't cure it and it could never be cured. It wasn't my fault.

ps: here's joke for you: A polar bear walks in to a bar and orders a gin....and tonic. The bar tenders asks "why the big pause". The bear then looks at his hands and say "i've alway had them".