Hypoglycemic Unawareness

Hey guys

Since I've been diagnosed, just over a year now I have had many lows, averaging about 2 a day. I've never had a problem noticing when I'm low, I have always been lucky enough to notice when I'm low quite early indeed.

But for the past 3 days, I have taken my blood sugar and noticed that wow, it's pretty low. In the range where I usually feel very bad and immediately notice its low. At first i thought, or hoped it was just a once off thing, but it's been consistent like this for 3 days straight now.

So now I'm thinking that I have become hypoglycemic unaware, and am stressing out. So what now? Do I have to take my bs like 15 times a day and at like 2am every morning? Or is there a way to reverse this (like run my bs a little high for 2 weeks and see if I notice lows). Please help :)

Riaan,

Actually the two-weeks of 100+ blood sugars will likely do it.  It always used to for me.  Somewhere down the line I got to the point where that fix quit fixing and I guess the wheels fell off… L

Then you are relegated to testing more often.  I was leaving my endo appointment yesterday, felt fine, I was energetic, staying on topic, getting all my questions answered, no lag, no delay, no odd feelings and I was 41 when I checked.  Luckily, I had someone with me and they were driving so I didn’t have to just sit and wait to leave the office…

Good luck and, assuming my history is any indicator at all, and you keep those sugars up a bit, I suspect you’ll be back to being appropriately uncomfortable in fairly short order.  Keep us posted and let us know what works!

Cheers!

A-D

Thanks so much A-D, I'll keep it 100+ for two weeks and hopefully I'll be appropriately uncomfortable soon enough again :)

Being unaware is pretty fightening, don't know how you cope with it so well, I saw on other threads you were looking to get a CGMS. Any luck with it? Hopefully you'll get it and all your unawareness worries will be gone soon enough!

Cheers

Riaan,

If I can get rid of SOME of my worries it'd be great.  I am driving the paperwork for the request up to my endo today at lunch.  From there – it is on to see if my insurance will honor me with an approval… J Oh one additional note, don’t start aiming at lower numbers the second you think you're feeling symptoms again, LOL – give your body a  bit to really readjust! (I am pretty sure I've made 80% of the mistakes anyone can make with D, LOL)

I appreciate your kind thoughts and well wishes and may life get easier for all of us!

Cheers!

A-D

Hey Riaan,

The same thing has been happenning to me as well. I have had diabetes for 8 years and this is the first time since that I can't catch my lows. I do have a CGM now and i have to set the number to 95 because there is a bit of a discrepency in the numbers. It does catch the lows and it does help because it makes me check as soon as I am at 95. When I am really about 70ish. But of course the two times I needed the CGM I was  charging the battery and i was  at 46 and 30.

I am scared of not knowing when I am going low as well. It is really a scary feeling and I am going to do what A-D mentioned and try to stay above 100+  Lets see if that works.

I would say it's probably just because you've been low so much lately. My grandpa has type 2 and has hypoglycemic unawareness. He will get down into the 20s and not notice. You should probably just try and get your bloodsugar up higher for a couple weeks.

Gina

Yeah not being able to realize is pretty bad. I'm also following A-D's advice right now, keep in touch to tell me how you're doing!

Morgan

Thanks for the reply and help!

Aw, man, how many times are you guys testing? Sounds like heaven!

I know it was a yeah-right-I-don't-really-want-to-resort-to-that comment on the original post about testing every night, and such. But, yeah. Don't do it. It's not that fun. :)

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure quite why I do since I usually wake up when I am going low, but I have alarms that go off all night! Before bed, midnight, 2 am, and then 3-5 am. That makes for some greeeaaat sleep. Hah. Hah. It's amazing when I get a full night's sleep without having to check at all. Don't I wish...

And, of course, you can imagine how well that goes when friends/family stays over. I still hear about "that alarm that kept going of allllll night...." (yeah, right, like I don't already know it's annoying!)

[quote user="Alyssa"]

Aw, man, how many times are you guys testing? Sounds like heaven!

I know it was a yeah-right-I-don't-really-want-to-resort-to-that comment on the original post about testing every night, and such. But, yeah. Don't do it. It's not that fun. :)

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure quite why I do since I usually wake up when I am going low, but I have alarms that go off all night! Before bed, midnight, 2 am, and then 3-5 am. That makes for some greeeaaat sleep. Hah. Hah. It's amazing when I get a full night's sleep without having to check at all. Don't I wish...

And, of course, you can imagine how well that goes when friends/family stays over. I still hear about "that alarm that kept going of allllll night...." (yeah, right, like I don't already know it's annoying!)

[/quote]

Wow you get up a lot at night hehe, well for the past week I have also since I'm not noticing my lows right now, I get up at 2am and 4am and then wake up at 6:30am haha, and yes, when my alarm goes off the whole house wakes up and nobody's really happy with me right now haha :)

Testing sucks.
Naw, kidding. It's really not that bad.