Needing some guidance

I went back to the doctor, and I mentioned that there were some continuous blood glucose monitors. He asked me what they were. I said, "Dexcom." He said that he would look into this for me to find out if there are any viable instruments out there in T1 land.

I hear word of a monitor that stays connected. Is this true? I had one that hooked to the wrist, but nothing doing...it kept sending out alarms.

Anyone have a CGM? If so, would you recommend it?

Thank you.

i had one for a very short amount of time. i would have kept it longer but i got tired of all the needles i had to use. i do recommend it though. even though i only wore it for like 2 months it helped me gain better control of my diabetes. hope that helps alitlle(:

hmmmm,    so your doctor said he never heard of a CGM? 

Yes there are sensors that will give you a blood sugar number, continuously.  Medtronic, DexCom, and Abbott Laboratories.  I have a Medtronic CGM and I though it was good information about my after meal sugars and overnights.

Most stay in for 3-5 days.  I use mine for about 7 days, then it dies and you have to insert a new sensor. The sensor is essentially a needle that you wear under your skin.

The sensors are not very accurate, but if you have hypo unawareness or you are looking for trend information I find them helpful.

If you would like to read about CGM's there is a CGM Group here at Juvenation, and there is a ton of information on the Internet, you can see Medtronic, DexCom, and Abbott Laboratories web sites.    cheers

I'm also confused why your dr. hasn't heard of a CGM. Is it an endo?

I used the Dex a couple years ago until I couldn't afford the monthly supplies anymore. It was before insurance was paying, but I heard they're better now. I liked it and found it accurate. But, I found it a major annoyance when it started beeping like crazy at work when I was with a client. It didn't have a "silent" button, so you had to hope you didn't go low or high at the movies. Maybe they've updated it since?

There is one. I dnt have one yet but im getting that and the pump on november 20th. ill let you know how it is!

The Dexcom is a very good device. I have been using it since about June. Prior to that I was using the Medtronic CGMS. I really like it. Right now I have my sensor on my upper arm and have had no issues with it. The only "issue" is that sometimes the reciever won't catch the data sent out by the sensor. However, that does happen and I am not always keen on what my old numbers were, but the current one. The Dexcom is good for about 7 days. I have tried to extend it for another seven days with mixed luck. Sometimes it works, other times it curls up and dies sometime around say 10. All in all it is great. You can set the alarms to go off and to just vibrate if you need them to, which I tend to do. The accuracy for me tends to be within 10 points or so from my meter. How can I argue about that?

Joe and Sara, my doctor is an internist. I have no endocrinologist. There's one that I was referred to, but another doctor took my case in her place, and then after I decided he was the endo from Hades (he told me not to eat popcorn or peanut butter, the moron! and then messed up my basals mightily), I found out that he changed the rules at that practice so that patients couldn't change doctors. So long, good endo, hello internist. I am determined, though.

In the meantime, my internist (a nice if slightly uninformed person) is not very informed about new technology. It is slightly demoralizing, but I do like research.

To Amber and every one else who responded, thank you, and any information that you give about the CGM you use or will use will be put to good use (knock on wood that I can get my insurance to pay for it!). I am now going to sleep.