How to keep dexcom sensor working

Hi!
Does anyone have any good tips about making the G6 sensor work the full 10 days? It used to last the 10 days but lately it’s not lasting those 10 days. It just ends up giving sensor error and we end up having to call the dexcom company for a replacement. We just called last week for a replacement and now we might call again. Does anyone have any tips for this or know why the sensor error occurs? Thanks.

Hey Alexa @arodric5002! Ironically, I just got off the phone with Dexcom customer support, requesting my third replacement in a row. For whatever reason, I’ve been unable to make my sensors last the full 10 days, even though it’s never been an issue before. I don’t really have any advice except to say that you’re not the only one with this problem–and definitely keep calling them if it fails again! It’s important for you to get a replacement and also for them to be aware that this is an issue. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Alexa @arodric5002, similar to what you and Abby @bookwormnerd13, during the last couple of months I too have been experiencing early G6 sensor errors - sometimes “sensor error” message a few times a day. I have noticed that the few sensor readings, both before and on resumption of a failed sensor can be VERY erratic and misleading. This is an extremely serious condition for people managing diabetes with Control IQ. Dexcom is working on this, I’ve been told.

I urge you to call DexCom every time a sensor fails - especially when the failure isn’t do to “User Error”, or some unusual activity. This is important so that action to remedy the fault will be addressed by both Dexcom and bu the US FDA.

I’ve requested that Tandem work with Abbott to speed up the integration of the recently approved Libre 2, the only other CGM with non-adjunctive rating, with the Control IQ Algorithm.

2 Likes

After calling sooo many times it can get annoying. :woman_facepalming:t2: But good luck to you too :slight_smile: Have a good day!

1 Like

Thanks for explaining why it’s important to call for a replacement!

1 Like

Yeah, I totally get it; that hold music gets stuck in my head for days afterward😭Pro tip—their online chat is a whole lot faster and more convenient! You generally don’t have to wait, and it’s less stressful (at least for me) than making a phone call and dealing with all their menu options.

2 Likes

Seriously? I will try that! Thanks for the tip. I knew about their online chat however I didn’t think it would be a good idea! Thanks!