How long have you had Type 1?

How long have you had type 1 diabetes?  I was just wondering because I am only 18 but have had type 1 for 11 years and am worried that I will eventually become desensitized to feeling low or high.

i've had it for over 20 years now. i still feel the highs and lows. some people can have hypo-unawareness, but i haven't experienced it much. when i was younger i couldn't tell the difference between highs and lows, but i seem to recognize them now.

if you continue to take care of yourself and/or diligently check, you won't have to worry. :o)

on my 16th year for me. same as C, i haven't had problems feeling lows or highs.

24 years in April.  I still very much feel lows - and highs can be detected by my level of grumpy.  :) 

11 years for me.  I've struggled a little with hypo-unawareness, more when I was younger, but I'm usually very aware of them.  Highs are harder for me but I still feel them.  Even if you are unable to detect lows especially, there are ways to fix unawareness so I wouldn't worry.

I have only Had diabetes for 4 years, but i went through a time where I had a lot of highs. I started getting used to them and got to where i couldn't really feel them anymore. Once I got back on track I could again.

20 years, and I can still feel both.  :)  The better control I am in, the better I am at sensing impending highs and lows.

Molly

After reading the other posts, I feel a little silly. LOL I've had type 1 for 1 1/2 years, but I didn't start till 52. Does that count???HAHA

I'm 23 and have had it since I was twelve.

I've got 67 years behind me. I was dx at 10, and I'm 77 now. Some years ago I lost the sensitivity for lows, but with improved control I can once again sense the lows. It's kind of difficult to compare now with ~50 years ago because the symptoms are somewhat different. For many years, double vision was a symptom for me, but not any more. Sweating used to be a frequent symptom, but now it's only an occasional symptom. 

13 years this march! can still feel lows & highs :)

I have had diabetes for 17 years and going on 18 in march haha. I have had a lot of times where I can't feel my highs or my lows very well. Now I can feel them pretty well, headaches when I'm high, shakey/sweaty when I'm low ha.

23 uears and still feel em no problem, the only time i think u dont feel high is when you are constantly high and your body gets used to it,,, if you stay in a good range you will def feel everything always.. thats my opinion

I was dx type 1  almost exactly 3 years ago (at age 60)  I'm still tryong to figure the  odds for that, i do know that they're astronomical  and I'm still asking how and why i got a "kid's disease"  at such an age.

Bad luck, bad genes, bad karma

[quote user="Carol11"]

I was dx type 1  almost exactly 3 years ago (at age 60)  I'm still tryong to figure the  odds for that, i do know that they're astronomical  and I'm still asking how and why i got a "kid's disease"  at such an age.

Bad luck, bad genes, bad karma

[/quote]

You should be grateful that the "kid's disease" gave you 60 years to live without it. I pray everyday that my son can live more than 60 years with it, but hopefully he will be cured sooner than that.

Ive had it fornot even 1 year! Im only 13 and im tired of it!!!

Wow Tom! good for you! I've had it for 33 yrs. Like you I can still feel MOST of  my lows, but the symptoms have changed. Don't usually get the physical stuff like shaking or sweating. I just get REALLY irritated for no good reason, and tired!

[quote user="Tom"]

I've got 67 years behind me. I was dx at 10, and I'm 77 now. Some years ago I lost the sensitivity for lows, but with improved control I can once again sense the lows. It's kind of difficult to compare now with ~50 years ago because the symptoms are somewhat different. For many years, double vision was a symptom for me, but not any more. Sweating used to be a frequent symptom, but now it's only an occasional symptom. 

[/quote]

Tom that's AMAZING!  What an inspiration. :)

I was Dx at age 3 1/2. I am on my 12th year this year.  

my husband has had type 1 for 23 yrs and he says he can feel if he is low or high and my son has had it for 1 yr and he can feel when he is low, but not high (he's 5)