High

So this morning I went on my usual jog and I always make sure my blood sugars are running a little high before I start because they always drop while I'm going. But, when I got back and checked, my blood sugar was even higher than when I started so now I am at 325. Does anyone know why this happend?

I'm not really sure but curious how high is high before you exercise? I ask because if I am at/around 250 when exercising my b.s. goes up and up and up with exercise.  So I don't workout unless I'm under 220 (if I recently ate a meal and bolused) or if its just randomly that high before starting exercise and I feel that it is high (like that hot, out of body feeling) then I bolus a teeny bit (like half of what the correction would normally be, set my temp basal to half on my pump) and then workout and I'm fine.

Best of luck :-)

Sometimes the stress hormones released with a good workout can make you go up. Also, if you were high, did you check for ketones before exercising? Make sure you don't have ketones before you exercises or they'll get worse.

I also find it frustrating that exercise usually makes me go down, but sometimes up up up. Annoying!

After I work out I sometimes go low, and other times I go high. I think it has to do with how much stress I put on my body. When I walk, my sugars drop a little. But when I run, they go up and crash a few hours later. I'd talk to a doc! :)

I can't answer as to WHY it happens, but only that it does to me sometimes too.

Glycogen may be the issue.  Your body creates energy stores in muscles and liver by turning glucose into glycogen.  When you work out hard or lift weights, your body releases glycogen from muscles.  It causes blood sugar to be higher right after working out, then usually you see a significant bs drop later when body replenishes glycogen stores with blood glucose.  That's why diabetics sometimes have bad low blood sugars in middle of the night after working out.

In theory, if you do the same workout consistently, your muscles become more efficient and release less glycogen, so you won't see the dramatic rise or fall with blood sugars.  But it also depends on the type of workout you're doing.  Sheri Colberg's "The Diabetic Athlete" has specific info on how to adjust insulin and carbs to compensate for different workouts.   

Jennagrant is pretty much right. One of the side effects of exercise (ie: muscle contraction) is an increase in your catecholamines (epinephrine, norepinephrine), which stimulate glucagon in the body, meaning the liver breaks down more glycogen into glucose. Usually a short-term or low-intensity workout won't have too much of an effect, but something higher intensity (ie: scientific studies usually use jogging for 90 minutes as the "standard") definitely spikes your catecholamines and glucagon.

Depending on how high you are, ketones can also influence your blood sugars during exercise. Try not to aim for "too high" before exercising, and check both immediately after and a couple hours after to keep an eye on your blood sugar as catecholamines and glucagon levels go back down. Best of luck!

So, what were you before you went jogging?  You could have been low and possibly rebounding?  But I am not a doctor......

sometimes when i run my blood sugar spikes a bit because of adrenalin because of how much pressure i put on my body when i'm running.

Before I was running it was about 250. I think what jennagrant said might just be what happend to me.