Exercise and high blood sugar

O.k so normally when I exercise it makes my blood sugar drop a lot. This morning when I woke up my blood sugar was 121, and I didn't bolus for breakfast because I knew I was going to exercise. I ran 3-4 miles and afterwards my blood sugar was 266, which has NEVER happened. I power-walked for about 15 minutes and took my blood again and it was 278. I then changed my site, gave myself insulin and did elipticals for 15 minutes. My blood sugar was 239. I did eliptials for 15 more minutes and my blood sugar was 166. I came home and just took it and its 178. My breakfast was two peices of toast and a clemintine. This has neverrrr happened to me before and I was wondering if its happened to anyone else? Do you know how my blood sugar could have come up after exercising? 

Thanks!

This happens to me all the time when I exercise.

Your glucose will go up when you have a high intensity workout due to adrenaline that is released. This happens to me when I disconnect from my pump to exercise. If you continue to go high during/after exercise, try giving yourself a unit or two of insulin before hand. Don't give yourself too much though because your body is more sensitive to the insulin during exercise.

Also, if you are high after, give yourself half of what you normally would to correct, since what is pushing it high is the adrenaline and not carbs/fats/proteins etc.

If you are keeping your pump attached during your workouts, you could try a temp basal for an hour or however long you are exercising at a higher rate...

For me this is all trial and error but 4 out of 5 dentists recommend it! :P

Hope that helps

thanks (:

My son has same issue after his freshman soccer games.  He takes off his pump and then has the added increase due to hormonal response. 

Great book:  Diabetic Athlete's Handbook:  Your Guide to Peak Performance by Sheri R. Colberg.  Book was just updated in 2009.  It explains the physiology but also has practical sport sprecific tips from athletes w/ type 1.  Hormonal response explained on page 22.

My question is : When did you take your Basal (Lantus)? I had a similar experience!   I took my lantus two hours late!  Ate a snack and rowed for an hour.  My glucose was at 301 for the first fifteen minutes then decreased down to 72 as the remaining 45 minutes of rowing passed.

My question is : When did you take your Basal (Lantus)? I had a similar experience!   I took my lantus two hours late!  Ate a snack and rowed for an hour.  My glucose was at 301 for the first fifteen minutes then decreased down to 72 as the remaining 45 minutes of rowing passed.

I am afraid of the pump!  It would never work for me.  It sounds dangerously complicated! I can easily go from 305 to 65 during an hour of rowing. I I can easily regulate my glucose with a fast two hour walk! The walk brings me down faster than Novolog and I feel more normal.

Remember that aerobic exercise ( rowing , running , walking and swiming lowers your glucose. Anerobic exercise such an weight training and sprinting  raises your glucose level.

[quote user="S6730"]

I am afraid of the pump!  It would never work for me.  It sounds dangerously complicated! I can easily go from 305 to 65 during an hour of rowing. I I can easily regulate my glucose with a fast two hour walk! The walk brings me down faster than Novolog and I feel more normal.

[/quote]

If you are afraid of crashing due to your long acting/basal, then a pump allows you to change your basal. You can set up a temp basal rate for the times of day or exercise (should you choose to stay connected during the exercise) that is lower for a couple hours in order to prevent the crash in glucose.

[quote user="S6730"]

[/quote]

I've just changed to the pump after 28 years of taking injections.  I'm sloooowly starting to see the benefits of regulating the temp basal for exercise.  I used to have to cover exercise with carbs usually before and after.  I would then have to bolus the carbs after and it would be a never ending cycle.  I personally would be careful exercising with such a high blood sugar 305 is pretty high.  I "personally" would wait until it came down.  I often would become dehydrated if my workout was intense if I started to high.   My doctors have been suggesting the pump for at least 10 years.  My A1c's are, were great usually 7 or under.  I am hoping that with the change they will be even better.   Kinda like anything else, you have to be ready to make the change. 

Aaron

I never have understood what is so difficult about regulation. . Yes I do have my ups and downs, but I can stabalize them easy with a quick snack if low or immediate exercise if I have been a bad boy! (Juvenile  Diabetic)  Everybody talks about carbs, but the real problem is regulating those sneaky  fats that turn into glucose 2- 7 hrs after eating them. 

Those con artists ( diabetic  educators) try to sell us those   ball and chain pumps!  They make lots of money selling this junk and teaching us to use them!  What a waste of money!  Plus they are so controlling!!  Big chance of  causing an infection and they can disconnect!   Has anyone ever met a diabetic educator with a good shape?

I never have understood what is so difficult about regulation. . Yes I do have my ups and downs, but I can stabalize them easy with a quick snack if low or immediate exercise if I have been a bad boy! (Juvenile  Diabetic)  Everybody talks about carbs, but the real problem is regulating those sneaky  fats that turn into glucose 2- 7 hrs after eating them. 

Those con artists ( diabetic  educators) try to sell us those   ball and chain pumps!  They make lots of money selling this junk and teaching us to use them!  What a waste of money!  Plus they are so controlling!!  Big chance of  causing an infection and they can disconnect!   Has anyone ever met a diabetic educator with a good shape?

[quote user="S6730"]

[/quote]

not sure where you are going where you think your educator is a con-artist...mine was in perfectly healthy shape and didn't try to sell me anything. They give you the glucometers for free so the hospital is not making any profit or getting any cut from a 'sale.' The glucometer company will make its money from the test strips because they are expensive, but if you have a prescription for the test strips, you end up paying $40 or so for something that costs $600. You're the winner there...

My Educator always gave me stuff for free... my insurance paid for my one hour appointment tho. However, i've been T1 for 21yrs now and im STILL on injections... anyone who thinks you cant be in shape as a diabetic might wanna second guess. It just takes maintenance. I havent always been "ripped" either just 4yrs ago i was 17% bodyfat and worked it down to 7.5% in just a matter of weeks. Go to my website www.JMIAH.com and you can see my before/after pics. I say all of this to encourage you guys... no matter WHAT your condition, you can take ONE step at a time toward the goal you'd like to reach.

Jmiah
www.JMIAH.com
"2nd Place Winner of MODEL UNIVERSE 07 and 08"
"3rd Place Winner of MODEL AMERICA 07"
Type 1 Diabetic

Follow me on twitter: @JMIAHONLINE

Jmiah is exactly right. So what if an educator is out of shape? There's no doctrine that states that in order to educate in diabetic health you must be healthy yourself...although it might help with the image conveyed. But time spent eating well and staying active is all you need to be in good shape. I'm no Mr. Universe (waxing all this would be expensive!), but I'm happy with where I am...my numbers are consistent and so is my diet, and I'm in great shape for the upcoming rugby season.

I felt the same way.  I am still a huge cynic/criticof the pump but wanted to see if it would give me more control.  I always felt there was more money going into technology instead of the cure.  Pharmaceutical companies are making a bundle off us!! 

Do Not like the ball and chain at all!!!  being connected to the pump is probably the biggest hurdle I am having.  My pump trainer was in good shape, and really I could care less what they look like as long as they give me the information I need to make this work for me.  I was hoping the pump would, will give me the freedom to not need to eat a snack or worry about missing a meal.  Thats where I was.  So then I was testing so frequently that I thought I'd try something else.  To see if it was any better.  If your blood sugars are stable and you feel great, thats awesome however you manage it.