Help-Recommendations for phones for Dexcome G6

I need help finding what brand and how much gbytes needed for use with Dexcom G6 transmitter. My 8yr old dropped the receiver into the lake and although we were able to retrieve it and tried to dry it out, the receiver shut down and will not turn on. Contacted Dexcom and after several hours of ping-pong with my call, I was told because it was user error that caused the damage that they would not replace it and it will cost close to $400 to replace it. I was clearly upset that they would not do at least a one time replacement, no insurance coverage offered and for a device that does not transmit info to my doctor or parents to cost that much is ridiculous. So what phones work best with Dexcom G6 and what is the most economical phone or solution. Just read somewher that IPOD Touch software is outdated and they will not be continuing tech support for that system, so most likely being discontinued.

@Bsalva a phone is only required if you need to share the CGM readings, if you need is to replace a soaked receiver, practically any android or apple phone or tablet (even those with only wifi) would work. you bring the device close to the sensor, and the device shows you a reading. there are $40 android tablets that could do this.

If you need to share data (have the phone on your child while you watch data from a remote location), then you will need an actual phone with cellular data service. which are you trying to solve?

To have remote access to send to myself and doctors

@Bsalva

Sharing still takes 2 forms: real time, and batch sharing, If YOU need to see real time (what the bg is right now) then you need at least 2 smartphones and they need to be on a cellular service. cellular plans are from $20 pay as you go or 30-90 bucks a month with some allotment of “data”.

if you do not need to see real time data, or want to send your doctor a report you can use the Dexcom Studio software and a PC to send reports of BGL to a doctor. It is my opinion that your doctor will not have the time to follow your child’s BGL in real-time through the app. anyway.

Still, if you need it then you are stuck with needing 2 smart phones. One that is physically on your child (or in a pocket) and the other in your hand.

if one of our members here has the G6 app and also is tracking that app’s cell data, then they could advise the data use rate but I’d have to guess that it’s less than 100 meg/month (very small data use) I am a IT hobbyist and not pro in this area. Maybe @Dennis or @mikefarley have actual cellular data use rates and could share that with us!.

cell phones from apple rank as the most expensive. you may find that your cellular carrier has a modestly priced android smartphone by a less-than-top line manufacturer such as LG, Nokia, or Motorola. The range of costs for a IOS or Android smart phone is probably in the high $100’s to over $1,000 dollar range.

I am guessing but the Dexcom sales rep in your area migh be able to discuss these options with you directly to help make the best decisions based on your needs.

good luck!

Thank you very informative

I’ve always used iPhone, but I think even an iPod Touch will work. Useful source for lower-cost “new”iPhones is https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone (availability varies, can set up alerts at https://refurb-tracker.com/) or I’ve found https://swappa.com/ to be a more reliable source than eBay or Craigslist for used iPhones. In my experience so far, Dexcom G6 works reliably on iOS 13, the latest update from Apple.

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback; greatly appreciated.

You’re welcome!

Dexcom has the most extensive support among mobile devices, including by Tidepool.org a “big data” platform for collecting CGM and other diabetes data that was partly supported by JDRF. While the G6 isn’t perfect, no diabetes product is, it’s better than the competition. For example, the G6 sensor usually lasts 10 days and if it doesn’t a call to Dexcom will usually get you a replacement sensor. The Freestyle Libre is less expensive, but will never alert you to hypoglycemia because it can’t be passively monitored. The Medtronic CGMs require 2+ per day calibrations and last 5-7 days, so the combined costs of sensors and text strips can be more than the G6. Relative to iPhone, not a single Medtronic product supports Apple Watch or Apple Health, Apple’s secure app for collecting almost all of your health information in one place.

That last paradox is richly ironic given UnitedHealthcare has offered Apple Watch to subscribers for wellness efforts.:wink: