Hand Cream

This is going to be my first winter with diabetes and I am concerned about using hand cream.  I have extremely dry skin and usually put cream on my hands 3 or 4 times a day in the winter and my hands still get so dry that they crack and bleed.  I dont want to put cream on and then have to wash my hands every time I test my blood sugar because that will dry my hands out even more.  Is an alcohol swab enough to get the cream off? Are there creams that you have found that do not affect your blood sugar reading? Any suggestions???

Thanks, Laura

Hi Laura,

Before going vegan I use to use Neutrogena hand cream. I never noticed that it affected my blood sugar and I too use alcohol swabs to clean up before testing. I now use an olive oil and hemp based lotion which isn't as effective but doesn't have animal ingredients. I'm out right now so not too sure on the brand name of that. Hope this helps.

i've never found a problem with using handcream and testing..then again, i rarely wash my hands before testing unless i've just been eating or doing something that would make them dirty!

i don't buy those expensive handcreams you get at the make-up counters, i usually just get used the regular shelf stuff.

a little trick i have for dy skin..cuz i get dry legs as well, is Baby Lotion! I always have a bottle of Baby lotion in the shower, and before i get out of the shower, I put it on my arms, legs, stomach, back(whatever i can reach of it haha) and butt...it works soooo well. my legs no longer get really dry and gross in the summer and its easier than using lotion..also helps my hands cuz i get it on them. my whole body feels like a baby's bottom haha. just make sure you do it at the very end..you dont wanna have that stuff on your hands and then go to wash your hair!!

I actually find with the baby lotion trick in the shower, last winter i had to use hand lotion a lot less!

[quote user="Batts"]

i've never found a problem with using handcream and testing..then again, i rarely wash my hands before testing unless i've just been eating or doing something that would make them dirty!

i don't buy those expensive handcreams you get at the make-up counters, i usually just get used the regular shelf stuff.

a little trick i have for dy skin..cuz i get dry legs as well, is Baby Lotion! I always have a bottle of Baby lotion in the shower, and before i get out of the shower, I put it on my arms, legs, stomach, back(whatever i can reach of it haha) and butt...it works soooo well. my legs no longer get really dry and gross in the summer and its easier than using lotion..also helps my hands cuz i get it on them. my whole body feels like a baby's bottom haha. just make sure you do it at the very end..you dont wanna have that stuff on your hands and then go to wash your hair!!

I actually find with the baby lotion trick in the shower, last winter i had to use hand lotion a lot less!

[/quote]

You just reminded me of something else...Baby Oil! I use this a lot and it also works pretty well for me. It doesn't snow where I live though so I don't know how helpful this will be for those who do live in much colder climates.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

You just reminded me of something else...Baby Oil! I use this a lot and it also works pretty well for me. It doesn't snow where I live though so I don't know how helpful this will be for those who do live in much colder climates.

[/quote]

hehe i meant to say Baby Oil (johnson&johnson to be excat haha) i call it Baby Lotion for some reason...whoops ;)

Have you tried Gold Bond Ultimate lotion? It is very thick and works wonders.. I've been using it year round for about 5 years! It doesn't affect blood sugar readings to my knowledge and there is even an anti-bacterial version :)

i am with batts in that I dont wash or use alcohol before needles, which i prob shouldnt do but whatever! lol.. i personally LOVE burts bees almond milk hand cream.. its nice n moisturizing and greasy and smells so good lol ... i usually hate greasy but on these super cold winter days i feel like it really moisturizes. I get really dry skin  on my body and ive tried everything.. i try to use natural products from the health food store... the only natural lotion i like is nubian heratige african shea butter lotion its moisturizing, non greasy smells good etc... I feel like the other natural ones arent enough. besides that eucerin is my fav... im not sure on how they effect blood sugars but these r just what i like :)

I've been Type 1 for almost 50 years. One idea that may help is to use a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). You may not have to prick as often to determine your blood sugar. Insurance is often paying for these now. There are new technologies coming along which may alleviate the need for finger/forearm pricking (measuring through your eyes, etc.). The lotion that my skin doctor recommended was the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin (SPF 30) brand, because getting some in your eyes doesn't hurt. I have not found the cream to affect my blood sugar readings either, so far.

I am on the board for the JDRF San Diego chapter. If you have a moment, please check out the posts there. We are trying to get the blog going in that group. Also, if you know anyone in San Diego, please have them join our group. Thanks!

My daughter has used Eucerin.  She seemed to do well with it.

Kim