Going on the pump

so I saw my new endo yesterday. I mentioned going on the pump and he said it would be a very good idea for my lifestyle. I've done research but I have yet to decide which one I want to go on. My doc wants to put me on the cgm next month and then from there, we are going to start going on the pump. I would love to hear your experiences from shots to pump (I've been doing shots since 91) so any feedback would be great! Also, how did you decide which one to go on? I'm thinking the omni pod since its tubeless..but I'm still unsure.

let me know!

Congratulations! I would not go back to injections, and have found fewer highs and lowes since being on the pump.

have been on the Minimed 722 for the past 2 years after 25 years of MDI. I went with MM since they were, and still are the only company that has integrated CGMS with their pump. My local Medtronic office has a good nurse who works with the patents on tweaking the pumps, and this was very helpful. I also like their customer service, any time I have had a problem they took care of the issue no problem, no questions asked. I know there are a lot of people who have negative feelings torwards MM, but my experiences have been great. It is not that a company can have a problem, it is how they take care of it when it is brought to their attention that matters for me.

I know several have said positive things about the Amainis Ping, and the Omnipod. The Ping came out about 7 months after I received my pump and wasn't an option at the time. I know they are working on having integrated CGMS and that should be available Q3 or Q4 this year. In my eyes the Omnipod wasn't an option and still isn't as I use over 200 units in 3 days.

I would recommend putting a spreadsheet together with the features of each pump that you are looking at, and rank those features in importance. This will help you decide which pump will be better for your needs. No two people have the same needs, in my case the integrated CGMS was a top need and that left only MM on the table.

Jonathan is right about making a list with features and benefits. You could start with the Animas website - they will break down things like basal increment of the top 3 or 4 units and a few other things.

My son just turned 15 on March 11 and we have been pumping about 2 months now. We got the Omnipod demo kit and he tried that  but did not like it.  When we were making the decision on the Ping the last thing I thought I would care about is the meter being able to bolus as well as the pump. I thought I would never use it and thought it was a great unit for parents with young children but not for a 15 year old. I was totally wrong. I have used it a number of times - especially at night when he is sleeping to correct a BG. I have used the Food Menu and the other advance features and found them great.

I have talked to the Animas rep about the intergration of CGM and am looking forward to upgrading. My son has not mentioned any downsides to having tubing and the one issue I had (he would grab the tubing and twirl the pump around) which I put a stop too pretty quick.

In all honesty, I was really interested in the Omni Pod and tried to talk my son into it but he did not like it at all. I am glad I went with his decision.
I have had very good luck with Animas Customer Service. 

Forgive me for posting a similar message in two groups, but I believe this also applies to what you ask.

I have had an Animas pump for 3.5 years.  Currently on a 2020.  I just started the DexCom Seven + CGM two weeks ago and look forward to an integrated solution, hopefully in the next year.

I was diagnosed with DM T1 at age 42 (no diabetes history prior), so it was a radical change of lifestyle for me.  Was on MDI for about a yr before going to pump.

I am an engineer so research everything before I make a decision.  When looking at pumps, I scoured the internet, talked to sales reps, went to seminars, etc.  I went with Animas for several reasons and have not regretted my decision.  The pumps I considered were OmniPod, MM, Cozmo (glad I did not go that route!), and Animas.  It really came down to MM vs Animas.  MM dominates the market and I sensed a herd mentality to it being selected by most users and also being recommended by most physicians.  In my area, there are few endos and patients familiar with Animas, but bucking the trend was fine with me.  Depending on what you find in your area, you may have to self-educate.

One of the pros of talking to several vendors and making them aware that you are doing so, they may throw in some freebie accessories to sweeten the deal and win you over.

Pros of Animas

1. Luer-lock on cartridges so you are not stuck with proprietary infusion sets.  You can use sets from a variety of manufacturers.  Animas has a wide variety of infusions sets.  My local sales rep has gotten me samples free of charge to try options.
  2. Can order supplies online directly from Animas, if your insurance allows that approach.  There is an online estore.
  3. It's waterproof.  I shower, swim, snorkel with mine.  You must replace the battery cap every 6 months however, to keep it waterproof.  In fact, I only disconnect when changing clothes or changing cartridge/infusion sets.
  4. It uses AA batteries, either alkaline or lithium.  Long battery life with the lithium option.
  5. Warranty service (from experience).  I have had my pump replaced twice, free of charge, for failure.  It was not so much that the pump was faulty, but the case cracked when the battery cap was tightened, and the pump leaked.  Very generous warranty support, in other words.  The last replacement included a free upgrade to the 2020.  The replacement unit and old unit shipping is covered by Animas.
  6. Free loaners (Medtronic charges).  I travel out of country and prior to leaving, I call Animas and request a loaner pump.  One is sent free of charge.  If I don't break the seal and use, I return after my trip and Animas covers shipping both ways.  Should your pump fail, call for authorization to use the loaner and then return your old pump.
  7. Lots of accessories.  I daily use the hard case holster to clip the pump to the shower curtain, my PJs at night, etc.
  8. Lots of options for adjusting the bolus and basal rates.
  9. CalorieKing Carb database on the pump.  I don't use it much, but it is there and customizable (you can add your own favorites) if you so desire to use it.
  10. Ping communicates with a OneTouch Ultra meter -- I have not tried this model.
  11. Customization alarm tunes (I don't use)
  12. Don't remember the details, but I believe Animas dispenses more frequently and can be at smaller dosage increments than the MM.

Cons of Animas

1. Fewer users and fewer physicians with experience than with MM.  My endo and her staff are not familiar with the Animas pumps like they are the MM, this is because Medtronic has an aggressive salesforce.
  2. EZManager Max software is full-featured (pro) and prints lots of graphs/plots.  However, I have had problems with it on MS Windows Vista to recognize both my OneTouch UltraMini and the Pump to download and integrate all the data.  I am guessing it is more full-featured than the MM software (but don't know for sure) since my endo is surprised at how much data is displayed and she is most familiar with MM.

The Dexcom 7+, although it does not perfectly match my finger stick readings, I have been pleasantly surprised that it is usually within 5 - 10%.  Sometimes it is spot on.  2009 was the first time that my insurance authorized CGM, so I jumped on it and I am glad that I did.  Looking at other forums, it appears that others prefer the Dexcom over the MM CGM for accuracy.  Having the separate Dexcom receiver from the pump is a hassle since I constantly carry the pump, a meter, and the Dexcom receiver.  Add in a cell phone and you get lots a devices to carry.  Look forward to an integrated solution in the devices, but also software to integrate all the data for analysis (the engineer in me talking).

I would never go back to MDI and I think I will like CGM as much as pumping as I get more experience with it.  Animas is a great choice.  You may be more on your own locally, depending on the market that you live in.

Hope that helps.

Paul