Glucose tablets and other ways to treat lows fast

Anyone know where to get glucose tablets for cheap? So far Target has been the only place I have been able to find.  Any other small food-like things people use to treat lows? For cheap?

Don't know about glucose tab, but you can get small bags of skittles in Easter packages this time of year cheep and cheeper after easter. Each is about 14g sugar and they work pretty fast.

I keep them with me all the time and my parents get them at wal mart.I think they are only like a dollar something here they aint much at all.

Have you looked there?

1.79 for a roll of tabs at cvs (cvs brand)

we get the tabs at wal-mart for a $1.24 or at cvs for 1.79.  I have those for emergency back up for her.  We also use the 4oz. juicy juice boxes they are 15g each and you can get an 8 pack of those for about 2.19 up here in minnesota.  Starburst work well also, those are about 4g for one square same as a tab.  Pretty much anything that has no fat and has tons of sugar works well.  I have noticed that reg soda dont seam to work as fast for my daughter as juice or candy or the tabs do.  Oh and fruit snacks work well too they run about 19g each pack.

I get the boxes of friut snack packs. A box of ten is $1.50 - $2.00 and 19 - 23 carbs per pack, depending on the brand. It's all I've ever given my son to treat lows because he won't drink juice on command. They're easy to take along with you, too.

[quote user="ginny"]

Anyone know where to get glucose tablets for cheap? So far Target has been the only place I have been able to find.  Any other small food-like things people use to treat lows? For cheap?

[/quote]

Good old LifeSavers, I only eat those tabs when I can't find anything else, for me treating a low is like a small freebie!!LOL Oh, I almost forgot Oreo's are about 8 grams, a couple of them and a small glass of milk. Hmmm

I get tabs from Wal-Mart

The fastest fastset food I use, and I only use it if I am under 50 or so is call "Insta-Glucose," it gets me feeling better in 5 minutes, seriously, as opposed to 7-10 minutes with juice or tablets.  Available at...(they are expensive)

http://www.jandbmedical.com/jandb/insta-glucose-tri-pack.html

[quote user="Run D-Link"]

I get tabs from Wal-Mart

The fastest fastset food I use, and I only use it if I am under 50 or so is call "Insta-Glucose," it gets me feeling better in 5 minutes, seriously, as opposed to 7-10 minutes with juice or tablets.  Available at...(they are expensive)

[/quote]

Hey Run D-Link, someone told me that the little frosting tubes in the bakery dept. work just as good and cheap.  Just herd haven't tried.

Walmart and walgreens carry them. We have 3 tabs we got at the hospital but they are big idk that she would like or eat them so we use 4oz 100% juice and those bring her right up.

I buy bags of life savers, use tablets but they are like 4grams and do nothing unless you eat the roll- I get mine at Target. Sometimes I buy the big bottles of tablets and fill up my single tub or put lifesavers in the tub when out of tablets. I use Capri Sun juices also.

i get glc tabs at wal-mart or target. i still prefer juice or reg pop for lows. you can typically find pop damn near anywhere.

I get tired of the nasty chalky after-taste of the tabs and so I mix it up sometimes and carry Starburst instead.  They're about 4grams each (just like glucose tabs) but they're oh-so-much tastier!

Orange or apple juice. It's much easier to consume a lot of that quick than munch down lbs of candy.

[quote user="Keith221"]

[quote user="Run D-Link"]

I get tabs from Wal-Mart

[/quote]

Hey Run D-Link, someone told me that the little frosting tubes in the bakery dept. work just as good and cheap.  Just herd haven't tried.

[/quote]

I used cake icing for Brandan for the first couple of months after diagnosis, it was recommended by the doctors and nurses at the children's hospital because he was too little to eat most things. Can't compare it to Insta-Glucose because I've never used that, but the cake icing works pretty fast.

So I like to do a lot of hiking and camping.  One of my goals is to find some way of treating lows while minimizing pack weight.  So far only glucose tablets have fit the bill.  I was wondering if any of those sport gels work?  Haven't really looked at them much, and I think they tend to be pretty pricey....

I use the GU sport gels when I'm cycling or running and they work pretty well.  My favorite flavor is the vanilla - not a big fan of the fruit flavors, but that's just my opinion.  One downside is that you have to make sure to drink plenty of water with them.  Each packet is about 20grams of carb.

I use the glucose tables and the kids size of apple juice in those drink boxes.  I buy the glucose tabs at Wal Mart in a jar of 50 and refill the small tube that holds 10 regularly.  The apple juice is about a buck for four containers and they have 15 grams carbohydrate.  Apple juice seems to absorbs quickly.

The walmart brand do not taste very good - the Target and CVS cary Dex 4 but their store brand is also made by Dex 4. Much yummier for my son. Skittles are good also but more likely to be eaten even if no low than Tabs. I am not a fan of skittles because if a low happens to my son and he has lost the ability to chew skittles would be had. Tabs kind of disolve in the mouth. 

I think that the only company making those glucose tablets are the Dex 4 company.  They are willing to put any stores name on 'em.  Walmart has many different flavors, or at least the Wal I shop at.  I like the tropical fruit flavor the best and it is the cheapest I have found them anywhere.