G6 transmitter life

Does anyone know how many times you can restart the G6 transmitter after you get the “23 days left” warning? I got the warning on March 12, and restarted once. My current sensor ends today. Trying to decide if I can use this transmitter one more time. Day 23 is April 3, so I think it technically still has some life in it. I called Dexcom and they said once a session is started, the transmitter will last the full 10 day session, but that it might not restart to begin with if it’s past 90 days. My transmitter is at day 102, so I have already gotten some extra time from it, but all this stuff is so expensive, I prefer to stretch it all as long as I can. I had read elsewhere that the transmitters actually last 112 days, but I don’t know if that’s true. Just wondering if anyone has personal experience with this?

Hi @lacadu, the best thing you can do is give it another try on a new sensor and hope that the Dexcom rep was correct in telling you that once it starts it will last the ten days.

I use the G5 and have had two different experiences. A transmitter already in use for 90 days plus, allowed me to start a new 7 - day sensor and worked well; I recall that the Dexcom manual says that those sensors should last something like 112 days. On the next transmitter I was attempting to start on the 91st day and the transmitter would not work; I had to dismount the transmitter without disturbing the sensor and start my replacement transmitter.

I hope you have a fresh transmitter on hand - yeah, $599.00.

Thanks! Yes, that’s what I ended up doing. I discovered that I could start the sensor without fulling “clicking” in the transmitter, so I didn’t end up having to waste the sensor. The transmitter did die immediately, so that answered that question! I just popped in the new transmitter and restarted the sensor with no problem. With the g6 sensor, the sensor is designed to break at one end in order to remove the transmitter from the sensor. It makes it much easier compared to the g5, but doesn’t allow much of a chance to save the sensor once it’s broken.

The transmitter lasts 112 days by default. If you use an app to reset the transmitter, I understand you can get a few more months out of it.

A transmitter can be removed from a sensor without breaking the sensor if you are careful. I’ve heard of people using guitar picks or test strips to lift the edges out of the sensor to either clean and re-seat or replace the transmitter.

We use the Spike app & get 6 months + out of our transmitters.

I am on a G5 system and I get 5-6 months of each transmitter. My insurance sends me 1 transmitter every 3 months (4 a year), and I use 2.
I applied to get spike (www.spike-app.com) which is for iPhones and in that app you can reset Dexcom transmitters and use them until the batteries die, not when Dexcom says they die and force you to get a new one. (The 112 days is BS, considering I get 150 days off mine with resetting them, and I also use not only the spike app but also the receiver… so you can still use the Dexcom App or receiver when resetting transmitter

Hi! Would u be able to talk live about this? I got the warning for 23 days yesterday but still used my same transmitter even tho I already got a new one via insurance Hopefully it will last 10 more days Not sure I should try another 10 after that :grimacing:
But Like others I’m hoping to make it last longer to help cover me next year when I hv to pay my full deductible again!

My reply was to you by the way, beccagae

Sue,
Due to new Apple rules you now have to BUILD your own Apple kit to do your own under Spike. So you can do a Free developer acct and you will have to re build it weekly or do a paid ($99 a year) developers acct to restart your transmitters under Spike.
So if you want to do a build you can, and I will walk you through restrarting your transmitter… but you will have to build the platform to be able to do the restart under Spike… Apple did not like Spike and would not let them offer it build as of 4 months ago…

My 8yr old dropped her Dexcom G6 receiver into the water and they won’t replace or do a one time forgiveness replacement. It costs almost $400 to get a new one and insurance won’t cover it again, Dexcom won’t replace it due to user error and finding a phone that doesn’t cost several hundreds is hard to find. I had issues with it since the beginning and foolishly thought it would send messages to doctor, nurse, and parents without having to purchase a phone. What phones worked for others?

@Bsalva a phone is only required if you need to share the CGM readings, if you need is to replace a soaked receiver, practically any android or apple phone or tablet (even those with only wifi) would work. you bring the device close to the sensor, and the device shows you a reading. there are $40 android tablets that could do this.

If you need to share data (have the phone on your child while you watch data from a remote location), then you will need an actual phone with cellular data service. which are you trying to solve?

1 Like