Freestyle Navigator!

Who here has the Navigator? If so how do you like it? Would you recommend it? Who has or had the navigator and the omnipod at the same time? Is it nice or not? Give details please :) Thanks!!

Cesar,

Right now the Navigator is still being tested, so it isn't available to the general public.  They are still working out its glitches.  I have tried the Pathfinder software and can't get it to work to save my life.  I can't wait until the Navigator is ready to go.  It'll be so nice to make record keeping easier.

Amy

I thought he was talking about the Freestyle Navigator CGMS which is available.  I have researched it but am looking more at the Dexcom Seven for our dd.

I've been using the Abbott Freestyle Navigator since the last week of July 2008. I have been pleased with it, but you have to realize that there is going to be a difference between actual BG and interstitial fluid (that's what the Navigator actually measures and reports). Sometimes they will only differ by a couple of points, and other times they may differ by as much as 40 points. With the Navigator the times at which calibration will be needed are predictable, and your only choice is whether you are going to delay doing a calibration after the device tells you to do a calibration. My pump is a Cozmo, so I can't comment about the Omnipod. There is a 10 hour delay after inserting a sensor before you start to get a display of continuous glucose readings, and this is kind of a pain in the neck. Each sensor lasts for five days, and they don't tell you, but it is possible to leave a sensor in place and use it for another five days.

Here is my quick 2 cents:

Bolus dose usually (1U Novolg / 10g Carbs)

For every 10g Carbs I tend to elevate 50mg/dL BG.

For my basal I am taking 21U of Lantus.  I am past the honeymoon stage.

Cesar,

I did a really long post on my blog about the freestyle navigator vs the minimed cgm if you want to read it maybe that can help..

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/28524/61192/freestyle-minimed

The Freestyle Navigator is available right now. I tried it from my doctor's office, and I really liked it. You are able to enter events like meals, exercise and medicine. This is very helpful when you print out the graphs because the events can help exlplain highs and lows. You are also able to put the sensor on your arm, stomach or leg. The sensor is kinda big, especially compared to the Dexcom and it does take 10 hours after insertion before you calibrate it. Another great thing about it is that it has a built in blood tester port for testing your sugars manually right on the back of it...it takes Freestyle test strips - so you don't have to carry a seperate blood glucose meter. It also has arrows that indicate if your sugars are going up or down. Although the readings can vary a bit, usually only about 10 - 12 points....sometimes up to 40 - I just needed to double check before i treated a high or a low.

I am currently wearing the Dexcom to try it out. The transmitter is a lot smaller and it has a charger instead of batteries (The Navigator has batteries). However, my blood sugars, especially my highs, have varied as much as 85 points ! It also has a tramsission range of only 5 feet - the Navigator's transmission range is 10 feet - I actually got readings up to 15 feet. The model I am wearing does not allow you to enter events but the rep tells me the newest model does and it also has the arrows indicating if your sugars are going up or down (my model doesn't have arrows).

Hope this info helps.

Lindagayle