For a dead organ, my pancreas is pretty opinionated

We have similar issues with our 10 year old daughter. On the weekends her glucose sky rockets, doesn’t matter how much exercising she does or doesn’t do, doesn’t matter if it is indoors in AC or outdoors in swimming pool… just on the weekends. She drinks plenty of water both during the week and on weekends… I have no idea why this happens, it is very frustrating and usually ends in her crying. So frustrating. Hang in there.

Wonder if mood has anything to do with it. People treat week-ends differently than week-days — they either look forward to these — or dread them, depending on what one expects. Perhaps yard-work during the week-end is no fun; perhaps your 10 year old likes week-day activities much more than the week-ends. I have had a couple of incidents ( in my 10 years as diabetic) where the glucose went up for no reason and stayed high despite insulin, Scary, because increasing insulin may eventually build up ( down :>) and then you;ll be on a roller coaster ride. Wish I had paid attention to what else was going on in my life then. I do know that getting upset drives my glucose up — into 300’s, That may be a clue…

Hey all,

Weighing in on the pump topic. Diabetic for 31 years, on various pumps for 18. I was really reluctant to switch to a pump for reasons of becoming an android. Then I realized I was already really dependent on technology, so what the heck.

I’m currently on the Omnipod, which I prefer for a number of reasons. I’ve used multiple Minimed models, Animas as well. I work as a biologist, so out in the elements exposed to everything from rocky slopes to water to fire. Have lived in Texas heat, and up in cold New England. I prefer the tubeless system, because I don’t have to unattach at the beach, or in other aquatic environments. I usually put the PDM in a waterproof bag, so I can still push the buttons. Also, each component is cheaper than a tubed pump system. If I break the pod, i just replace it. If I break the pdm, it’s considerably cheaper to replace than one of the tubed pumps. I find the pod pretty discreet, but at this point I dont really care. One negative about the Omnipod, since the PDM isn’t attached, you can misplace it. When I was commuting to an island for work daily, I switched to the Animas simply because it was attached to me and I couldn’t forget it.

I’ve been on a cgm for 8 years. No going back, on that one. It has given me a lot more confidence (and just flat out safer) doing physical work in remote locations. Also, just overnight reassurance. I get lows at night if I was really active during the day, the cgm wakes me up.

Thanks Ginny. These experiences and opinions have been invaluable. I’m in Dallas so I understand heat/sweat. Am also meeting up with a group of T1 distance swimmers on Sunday (swimming is my go-to exercise, because it’s so freakin’ hot here in June, July and August… come on October!!). It’s a lot to process, but I appreciate the input from everybody. SW

Don’t know how long ago this was posted, but the issue is not your pancreas. Your pancreas, if working, releases insulin that makes your blood sugar lever go down. not up. When you get high blood sugars after activity, it is one of two thing happening. Either your liver is releasing sugar into the blood stream in anticipation of the further need for fast energy, or your kidneys are removing your injected insulin from the blood stream and releasing it later. If, after some time, you suddenly “crash” from the high blood sugar, it is likely your kidneys. But either way, talk to your doctor, the diabetes educator, and the nurses/staff available to help with adjusting your insulin. If your insurance will cover it, I would also recommend getting on the pump for best control.

I would also recommend a CGM (continuous blood glucose monitor), it would help determine exactly what is happening,

Andy, worst summer for me. In NE we have many 90 Days and no air conditioning. Wednesday I get my A1c results. I know they will s…k.

1. When my body is hot, insulin in my body doesn’t work . I’ve had more over 300 readings in this quarter than the last ten years.

2. I switched to metal cannula because I was reacting to plastic and had to change site every 2 Days. NOW I have to change the metal one every 2 Days due to heat.

Cannula glogs and I don’t get insulin.

I’ve had more :arrow_up:️:arrow_up:️ Over 200.

Previously my A1c has averaged 6.2 for last 2 years. I’m compliant. I eat weirdly. No packaged food. Hardly eat out. No wheat, creates insulin resistance.

All this to say hang in there… I thought I was going nuts with all the weirdness.

This summer… OMG the worst.