Flu Vaccine May Increase Hospitalizations?

I found this article a little disturbing.  It definitely raises some questions.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090519172045.htm

Mo

Hi Mo,we were told to get a flu shot every year by my daughters health care team.Before she got type 1 she never got one or did I.But since her type1,we started and I felt relief that I could ck one more thing off her list of things she needed.Last year we missed it,and one morning around 2,she woke me up with what I thought was flu like symptoms.Scared me-and I felt terrible guilt that I had not followed through on advice given by her Endo.It turned out that it was not the flu-but I told her,never again are we going to miss a flu shot.To think of how sick she could have become...I take a flu shot because she needs me and I can't take the chance.I went back and got this info.If I were good at links,I would do that but...I was over at DLIFE and reading about Type1 and flu shots and here is what I read....quote....People with D are 3 x more likely to die with influenza or pneumonia.They are 6x more likely to be hospitalized due to flu complications,for that reason everyone with diabetes should get a flu immunication as soon as the vaccine becomes available.---this info. is under the title The Flu,Flu shots and Diabetes....I am not ever thrilled about any extra shot given,I worry what's in it,is it safe,will it cause her problems later..I think it is hard and each parent has to make that call for their own child and family.

One of the questions this article should raise is how much attention should we pay to the findings.  The discussion of odds ratios sounds like they either used a chi-square test or a logistic regression, neither of which establish causality.  The discussion of association suggests they did not even calculate correlations (pointing more toward chi-square).  The only significant finding they reported was that children with asthma who recieved TIV had higher hospitalization rates...it sounded like they may have included other children in the study that did not have asthma.  The pdf (and maybe even the newsblurb) reported no association between ER visit and TIV.  So the overall trend might have been for elevated rates of hospitalization, but it sounds like the overall association was not significant (which is what motivates research...not simply a higher rate).  Maybe the upcoming proceedings paper will be more informative.

I love when Eric responds to posts about studies! Even after years of working in a medical field, I forget and sometimes take studies at their face value. Reading your posts makes me feel smarter, lol.

[quote user="meme"]

Hi Mo,we were told to get a flu shot every year by my daughters health care team.Before she got type 1 she never got one or did I.But since her type1,we started and I felt relief that I could ck one more thing off her list of things she needed.Last year we missed it,and one morning around 2,she woke me up with what I thought was flu like symptoms.Scared me-and I felt terrible guilt that I had not followed through on advice given by her Endo.It turned out that it was not the flu-but I told her,never again are we going to miss a flu shot.To think of how sick she could have become...I take a flu shot because she needs me and I can't take the chance.I went back and got this info.If I were good at links,I would do that but...I was over at DLIFE and reading about Type1 and flu shots and here is what I read....quote....People with D are 3 x more likely to die with influenza or pneumonia.They are 6x more likely to be hospitalized due to flu complications,for that reason everyone with diabetes should get a flu immunication as soon as the vaccine becomes available.---this info. is under the title The Flu,Flu shots and Diabetes....I am not ever thrilled about any extra shot given,I worry what's in it,is it safe,will it cause her problems later..I think it is hard and each parent has to make that call for their own child and family.

[/quote]

i understand your concern meme..but those are EXTREME cases and we've been told are usually those who are not in good health to begin with and don't seek medical attention when they should.