Weight gain causing T1?

Did anyone see this thing in Parade magazine last week (I know, I know, I'm not exactly reading War and Peace around here...) that said slight increases in weight could lead to getting type ONE? Has anyone read this guy's book? It sounds like just a preliminary hypothesis, but it makes me wonder why he thinks that.

http://www.parade.com/news/intelligence-report/archive/100117-fighting-diabetes.html

I honestly think he is on crack! The only thing that might make since for Riley is environmental toxins. She was the right weight for her size and age. She doesnt/didnt get sick a lot only been on antibiotics twice well she got two doses of them the day before dxed for her third time on them. Anyhow I dont use antibacterial soaps or hand sanitizers. I think they do cause more harm than good. So she is exposed to germs daily at school. She got plenty of vitamin D as well. Here is the funny part my boys have always since about 3 months old been over weight and they didnt get enough vitamin D when younger cause of allergies and my stupidity and lack of internet when they were younger. I honestly really dont see what weight has anything to do with type one but then again I am not reading medical journals.

Have not read it yet-if it is not a misprint then we should all send him a ton of mean mail.ha !!

I did not read this article, or his book (sorry). But I would like to make a comment, if I may. I have noticed lately that there are many people who are type 2 that start taking insulin and people that that think that just because they take insulin, that they are type1. Now , this may sound elementary, but I remind people that because they are taking insulin now does not make them type 1. I AM TYPE 1. I was diagnosed when I was 4 yrs old and have been ever since (go figure). What difference does it make? The way their body reacts to insulin is different, as well as how their body handles sugar and the side-affects as well. I have talked to several type 2's and they always give me that " I don't react that way" line. I know that I probably sound stupid, and everyone in this site knows what I'm talking about, but I am tired of uneducated people making stupid comments about DIABETES. Like my 'endo' says, "everybody's and expert in diabetes". I honestly don't have to read this guy's article, you have made it plain to me he is an idiot.

Yes my husband and brother-in-law are both type 2 on insulin shots for many years.I know of others too.My husband will joke from time to time that he must be a type1 and they got it wrong.My daughter is type1...The world would be a better place if they knew the difference.And it is a nicer place when we realize we are all in this together type1 and type2 and all the people who love them.

I read it.   I am very new to this diabetic world & I can't claim any really knowledge about the research, but I do think writers need to be very careful with what they are putting out there.  As a new parent to this it is so easy to feel guilt & wonder what you could have done differently to prevent it.  

My son is young (18 months), he has always been between the 25-40% percentile on the charts, we are an active family, spend tones of time outside & are often with others, he was breastfeed for 10 months, given vitamins since birth, feed about 50% organic (the "worst" foods I try to buy organic), his diet has been very healthy, antibiotics only once.....   I only say all this to show that we don't fit the premis this author is making, and Benjamin still developed diabetes.   My son also is a twin & his brother has been treated/feed the exact same & doesn't have it.  So if there is research out there to back his claim that being slightly overweight can cause type 1 it is clearly not always the reason & this author perhaps could have emphasized that better.

When you put something in print that is read by millions, you are helping to shape the cultures impressions & clearly our culture has lots of opinions (some good & some bad) & preconcieved notions about this (some right & some wrong).   I would be the first to say if there is proven research about what causes type 1 I want to know, but speculation & theories can cauce many harmful effects to those who have a disease that is not their fault.  I don't want my son being accused of having diabetes because he hasn't lived a healthy lifestyle.  

Wow, this may be a little harsher than I intended.  Clearly, I still have some intense emotions about Benjamin diagnosis going on!  {sheepish grin}.  

I just know how may times over the last month I have asked myself if their is anything I could have/should have done differently & articles like this don't help me feel better.    I would be interested to know the authors sources & where he got his research information!

Debbi

Debbie,you have a beautiful baby..All parents I think do the same thing -we question if we did anything to bring on type1 to our kids...When I was in ICU with my daughter then 12--they tried to get me to leave-I would not---I felt like the whole world was crashing and I had caused this awful thing to come into my childs life.I never said a word to anyone around me about my feelings.I had a guy in ICU who came to me 3 seperate times-got on one knee and stared me straight in the face-He said- if you can't remember anything from the next few days -remember this--You did Nothing to cause your daughter to get type 1--You could do Nothing to Stop her from getting type1...On the day we were to leave ICU -here he comes with a doctor-he said I have come not just with any doctor but one that is the top.....I can't remember what that doctor said--but I never forgot what he said..He must have seen the sadness in my eyes,I don't know..We were in there with a baby and I just know he helped them too.It's not your fault,it's not my fault--it happened and we need a cure,Take Care ...

I was also wondering if anyone else had read this as well.  It seemed like the author got T1 and T2 mixed up.  Has anyone written Parade magazine about this.  This type of misinformation is terrible for us T1's. 

My daughter was 12 when she was dx.  She has always been thin and is an athlete,,vollyball and track.  She runs the mile in just over 6 minutes!!!  For my family what was written was eroneous information and should be addressed.

Kim

This is all about Dan Hurley’s new book, Diabetes Rising sales. He has been able to get a lot of publicity on the process of selling this pile of paper with a cover on it.

I listened to him being interviewed on PBS and he is in no way an expert, on Diabetes, T1D (which he claims to have), the science of D and the current research. 

This kind of crap really does diminish the credibility of information about T1D and it would be nice to have JDRF put out a news comment on the negative impact that books written by authors like this have on the D community and how the world views and understands T1D.

Based on the Parade interview, my guess is that this is correlation at work.  If the population as a whole is getting heavier over time, and the rate of T1 grows over time they will correlate even if one does not cause the other.  To get a better understanding I would need to read his references, but a real link would support numerous genetic OR environmental ideas.

[quote user="Debbi"]

I read it.   I am very new to this diabetic world & I can't claim any really knowledge about the research, but I do think writers need to be very careful with what they are putting out there.  As a new parent to this it is so easy to feel guilt & wonder what you could have done differently to prevent it.  

My son is young (18 months), he has always been between the 25-40% percentile on the charts, we are an active family, spend tones of time outside & are often with others, he was breastfeed for 10 months, given vitamins since birth, feed about 50% organic (the "worst" foods I try to buy organic), his diet has been very healthy, antibiotics only once.....   I only say all this to show that we don't fit the premis this author is making, and Benjamin still developed diabetes.   My son also is a twin & his brother has been treated/feed the exact same & doesn't have it.  So if there is research out there to back his claim that being slightly overweight can cause type 1 it is clearly not always the reason & this author perhaps could have emphasized that better.

When you put something in print that is read by millions, you are helping to shape the cultures impressions & clearly our culture has lots of opinions (some good & some bad) & preconcieved notions about this (some right & some wrong).   I would be the first to say if there is proven research about what causes type 1 I want to know, but speculation & theories can cauce many harmful effects to those who have a disease that is not their fault.  I don't want my son being accused of having diabetes because he hasn't lived a healthy lifestyle.  

Wow, this may be a little harsher than I intended.  Clearly, I still have some intense emotions about Benjamin diagnosis going on!  {sheepish grin}.  

I just know how may times over the last month I have asked myself if their is anything I could have/should have done differently & articles like this don't help me feel better.    I would be interested to know the authors sources & where he got his research information!

Debbi

[/quote]

Don't feel guilty there it"s nothing you did. I am type 1 and way (I mean way) at the other(?) end. Was there something I did that caused this?? This question is big for me because I was dx'ed at 52. It just happens Just remember is auto-immune like Lupus etc...18 mo. children haven't been around long enough  too hardly have done anything except grow.

Pretty sure it's just your body's beta cells attack the cells that produce insulin in your pancreas and there ya have it. Type 1. Yeah I was a fatty when I got diagnosed, but I don't believe it caused it. When my sister was diagnosed (when she was 5...she's 22 now), she was slender...always has been. I think one might be able to correlate weight to type 2 since one of the causes cited for type 2 is sedentary lifestyle.

My sister and I both had whatever T1 gene is out there...her's just decided to kick in 12 years before mine did.

I agree  keith.seeing a baby in ICU with type1 was something hard to understand and helped me know if it can happen to a baby who has not been on the earth long enough for anyone to cause anything-then type1 just happens...people are sometimes just trying to figue it out.They mostly hear about type2.So they try and put that on the type1.We got more than enough of that too.Hurt my feelings when one person wanted to question what her diet was-maybe she had too much sugar..on and on from different family and friends and others.They could not get it.She was not overweight so they went to anything they could pull info. from. I agree we need to be heard-it is hard enough to have this and put up with misinformation.Some members on here pointed out that we need to speak up and educate others-we were the same way before we learned about type1-we had to learn.Because of that,I do try now to speak up and educate them on the difference-they do fall back and do it again-makes me mad,ha-but I explain it all again...... I do want to say as much money we all spend-we deserve to be heard.Why can't one meter company etc-take a second to give a quick comment type1 and type2 are different and say why ! It would save alot of children and adults from the mix up problems.Did I say-Good Morning,ha :)

before we jump to conclusions, maybe we should wait and see what the research eventually says. because we aren't the ones conducting the studies, we don't know the possibilities out there. theories (even ones believed to be true) can always change. stephen hawking (one of the smartest guys on earth) recently recanted all of his research that had stood to be true for years. the same thing can happen with what we believe about t1d. we just don't know... there could be some link between overweight/obesity and developing t1. maybe the added weight, somehow has the ability to trigger the immune system to go haywire. does that mean ALL t1s have to be overweight? definitely not. it's only suggesting that could be a contributing factor. who knows, maybe in a couple years the research will be completely bogus... or maybe, it will turn out to be valid.

Agree C.. I read this finally and have no problem with it.Saw the word hypothesis-he also mentioned lack of vit.D-kids not exposed to.germs leading to overly sensitive immune systems. Diabetes clusters-where highest type1 is found.Enviromental toxins--He seemsto be looking for answers.Maybe others have more info. on him.

This is someone selling a book w/o a clinical or research background. If you read any interviews with the author it is sad to hear that he is getting publicity and given the opportunity to spread his philosophy. 

If the statements made by the author in his interviews are what he really believes...oops, we have a real injustice being put on the diabetic community. 

You can read one interview on PBS on Talk of the Nation. The author was ill-prepared, does not know about the current technology or research, nor was the interviewer prepared for covering the subjects discussed.

ya that article thing was retarded!