First AP approved by FDA

I spoke w/Medtronic; they expect to have them in the Spring.
FDA approval of artificial pancreas system marks one of the most significant advances in T1D care to date
Today is a momentous and life-changing occasion for the type 1 diabetes (T1D) community. The FDA announced approval of the Medtronic MiniMed 670G hybrid closed-loop system, the first device ever approved to automate the dosing of insulin to reduce high blood sugar levels. This and other artificial pancreas systems in development will dramatically improve the health and quality of life for many people living with T1D. Read more about this new device here.
This tremendous news would not have been possible without the support of the T1D community, which has fueled JDRF’s strategic funding and advocacy efforts to accelerate artificial pancreas research for more than a decade.
This artificial pancreas (AP) system includes an insulin pump, a sensor and a control algorithm to provide automated insulin delivery, making it simpler to maintain a healthy glucose range both day and night. The system is fully integrated between the pump and sensor, with no need for a separate smartphone or continuous glucose monitor (CGM). JDRF supported research that laid the groundwork for this AP system, as well as other systems currently in development, several of which are expected to reach the market in the next several years.
JDRF applauds the FDA’s decision and acknowledges the many partners and supporters across the T1D community who have contributed their time, energy and financial support to make this possible. Together, we have made it to this major milestone in T1D treatment. To learn more about today’s announcement and JDRF’s plans to ensure that these life-changing devices are broadly accessible until the day we meet our ultimate goal to cure and prevent T1D,

How do we become a candidate for it?

I grew up active and eating healthy. Challenges as a child were eating cupcakes in school for Birthday parties since they didn’t have insulin pumps back then. I’ve been wearing a pump for 19 years now. I am still healthy and active. My biggest down fall is my sugars are so good that I don’t have many warning signs to alert me when my sugars have dropped. I’ve actually tested and had bloodsugars as low as a 17. So if I’m active I over eat causing my sugars to surge (this way I don’t go into shock since I’m still being active (exercise, work ect))

OK, this is the first. I am waiting for the iLet or some using the Dexcom sensor. I will not trust the MM sensor.

if you are dropping to 17 without getting an alarm, it sounds like your CGM is very inaccurate and would get another one. But bettere to wait till Spring and get the whole AP system, or wait till more are approved.

Not the same sensor; that never would have been approved by FDA as a component of AP. It will be a whole new sensor.