Artificial Pancreas Clinical Trial participant

My sister and I (Michelle and Paula) have had Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) for 40 years. We have tried just about all of the currently available technology but On Sunday, March 29, 2015 we will try out the latest diabetic technology – the artificial pancreas.

We will be two of only a handful of people in the world actually trying/testing this technology from the comfort of our own homes on a long term basis (6 months). We are really excited about this opportunity and we hope you will enjoy reading about our experiences for the next six months.

We’ve started a blog (https://diabeticsisters.wordpress.com) to record our progression through the next 6 months.

Hi all! I am Paula’s sister, Michelle and yes, we are participating in one of the many clinical trials for the artificial pancreas. We are currently testing the feasibility and safety of in home use for 6 months and couldn’t be more delighted with the results so far - and it’s only been a week! Anything you want to know just ask and we will try our best to answer.

Hi, I’m Rene. 20 years in with type 1. How did you get picked for the trial? What is your device all about? Name of technology? I thought islet cell transplants might be next big thing but keep waiting seems to be the rule.

Curious about your success.

Rene M

Michelle / Paula,

Wow! Let me just say… CONGRATULATIONS on being chosen to be able to participate on the APP! That’s awesome! I will definitely being following your guys blog and results on it! Very exciting :slight_smile: please share the info Rene has questions on… As I am wondering myself. I am new to this site and must blogs are pretty outdated. Glad to see that this one is not even a week old!!

Bre Campbell

Rene and Bre,

My sister and I went to https://clinicaltrials.gov and looked up artificial pancreas and applied. There are trials going on all the time and all over the world.

The system is called a DiAs (Diabetes Assistant) which includes a Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor), a Roche insulin pump and a LG Nexus cellphone with the programming in it called a DiAs. We have started a blog to share our experiences over the next 6 months - https://diabeticsisters.wordpress.com.

I’m really excited about this system. It’s the closest I’ve been to “normal” in 40 years. Not having to wonder where my sugar is and even though I may eat something that makes it go up, the DiAs kicks in and gives extra insulin and brings it back down. Over the past week, I have been able to sleep through the night because my sugar hasn’t dropped and then spiked up and therefore having to go to the restroom. It’s a beautiful thing!

The success has been fantastic so far. For the most part, as long as I let it work and I don’t overrule it the DiAs controls my BG’s with little input from me. We only have to enter the Carbohydrates we are eating - and it controls the rest. We are excited to share this story as its the best I’ve experienced in a long time. I too, am waiting on encapsulation but this is the best thing.

Michelle and Paula,

Thank you for your courage and for sharing your experiences. I will be following your progress with much hope and optimism.

Stay strong and stay well.

Sincerely -w. bryan

Thanks w. Bryan! I apparently didn’t finish typing before but this is the best thing to happen to us so far! We have both had a fantastic week and I think it can only get better the longer we use it.

As I am writing this my BG is 125 and level, as its been most of today. It is fantastically good stuff. :slight_smile:

The artificial pancreas wins again! We have a chart that we are able to view on the artificial pancreas that will show BG’s for the past 24 to 36 hours. I have a beautiful straight line extending from after dinner yesterday to this morning! The line is approximately 140 and below for the entire time. Other than count my carbs correctly for dinner, I did not contribute to the result. The only drawback to the entire system is having to carry three devices around. They do not have to be attached to my body but due to the wireless tech used - they have to be in the same room. I can briefly step into another room without any alarms going off - So all in all, not a bad trade off for a straight line.

You can view the picture posted at www.diabeticsisters.net

That is so exciting. I’ve has type 1 for 48 years. My younger brother also had it(he passed 4 years ago) it is nice have sibling understand. I’ve has no complications so very excited about next wave of technology. How is it going after several months. Any issues with sensors being off? I run into that now but I use Medtronic which I’m beginning think hasn’t stayed up to date with others

Hi Michelle and Paula,
I have had T1D for over 50 years. I was born in 1/64 and was diagnosed in 9/65 at the age of 1, and have lived with this all of my life. I have been following the artificial pancreas very closely, and used to go to Camp Joslin in Charlton, MA, where the kids there got use them first hand. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

Thanks,
Tom

My daughter Emma (12) and I have followed your blog post. She got to see kids with this on when she went to Camp Barton last year. We have been so interested to hear people’s response to this - the kids she talked to seemed to love it. Thanks for sharing the pros and cons of your experience.

Beth

I want what ever you are on. I have had Diabetes for 50 years, I’m currently 56. I have all the complications and have terrible time keeping my surgers down. My last A1C was 8.5, it was 7.6.