Feeling all alone

okay, so i know of nobody in my grade that has diabetes. I hate hearing people complain about what they eat and how bad the food is, and how they're hungry all the time. I just think to myself, well at least you can eat what you want whenever you want it! GOSH PEOPLE!! and then i was in class one day and this girl was stretching her arm and the teacher said, "Do you have a question?" and she said, "No, I'm just stretching out my arm, ow, i had the flu shot." and i'm thinking, bless your heart lol! one shot a year must really be awful! haha

-Kayla:)

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have never been to school with anyone who had diabetes and I only know one other and hes has had it for about 7 years more than me.  Everyone i know either doesn't understand it or thinks it doesn't affect me.  I have friends who think it doesn't hurt gettin the shots. sometimes you just want THEM  to fel what you are going throuh right?

"An empty stomach is not a good political advisor."- Albert Einstein

i know how you guys feel theres two people in my town with diabetes me and a kid in 3rd grade im in 8th. this honestly sucks i hate it so much everyone is so delicate with me...im fine but they dont think so

When I was in middle and high school there was a girl my age with diabetes, but it was awful.  I hated having D and she was like a diabetes poster child, with a perfect A1c.  My mom always said, "Why aren't you more like Melissa."

So be careful what you wish for. =)

the only people in my school with diabetes are one boy in my grade and one boy in the grade younger than me. I honestly can say that every teacher treats me normal until that one day when they yell at me to put my phone away (really, my pump) and I tell them I have diabetes and from then on they treat me like I'm going to die or that they have to be nice to me or something like that. ugh.. I just wish people were more educated about diabetes

I know EXACTLY how you feel...Everyone either cares TOO much (by constantly asking me if I'm okay, if i need help with anything) or they don't care at all (by saying "ohh, those needles dont seem to hurt that much" or "Why are you sooo emotional today? Your sugars can't seriously make you upset/moody/cranky..Stop complaining"). I just wish some people would understand what its like so i wouldnt be given a hard time. I dont want sympathy, i just want understanding. I wish people were more educated in diabetes. I'm here if anybody ever wants to talk :)<3333

that actually happens to me all the time..i was sitting in my fitness class and this one girl was like "omg miss, i have to go get some needles tonight cause im going away on vacation.. blahblahblah." i felt like telling her to literally shut up because i have to take needles everyday in my stomach.. and its not like shes not aware im a diabetic too, people like that are usually just looking for attention:P

Haha I've had so many insulin injections and I still massively dread flu shots! Lets give other kids a break, those things HURT!

but they dont hurt that much! i have to take my insulin 5 times a day and they complain about one needle a year! its really not that bad, but the thing is too that we not only have to take our insulin we also have to get those needles too..

I totally get what your going through. In middle school I was the only person out of the entire school (and my middle school was from prek-3 all the way to 8th grade) and I'll probably be the only diabetic in high school also. When I say I feel so alone everybody always says that there's a bunch of other people who have it. But how do they know how it's like? I never met a person with diabetes in my age. The only diabetics I meet are either 5 or 80.

I know this is gonna sound repetitive but I know EXACTLY how you guys feel. Lol I have never (and may never) meet a diabetic that is in my exact situation. But, in my HS there are two older boys who are cool to talk to but they don’t understand how I’m feeling. I find it hilarious when people complain about getting their yearly flu shot like get over it you don’t have to do it again for another 365 days but I used to get shots within hours. But, let’s be honest that flu shot does hurt!! I get really mad though when they wear the band-aid for like 3 days and are constantly complaining I just wanna see them go through one day as a diabetic. Which only makes me feel so much stronger :smiley:

I know this is gonna sound repetitive but I know EXACTLY how you guys feel. Lol I have never (and may never) meet a diabetic that is in my exact situation. But, in my HS there are two older boys who are cool to talk to but they don’t understand how I’m feeling. I find it hilarious when people complain about getting their yearly flu shot like get over it you don’t have to do it again for another 365 days but I used to get shots within hours. But, let’s be honest that flu shot does hurt!! I get really mad though when they wear the band-aid for like 3 days and are constantly complaining I just wanna see them go through one day as a diabetic. Which only makes me feel so much stronger :smiley:

thats how it is with me too. there r people in my school that are always complaining that they need shots. well guess what honey. us t-d have to give 4-6 maybe even more PER DAY!!! ughh its complicated :/ And since the girl that went into 9th grade isnt in my school anymore, im the ony one. it sux but the nurse is very nice :)

Yes! i know how you feel! My teachers always tell me they have granola bars if I need it. I guess its good they care about me but.... I just want them to treat me normally.