Experience with insulin side effects

Has anyone had experience with side effects from their insulin (either short or long term)? A few weeks ago I started having through the night tingling and numbness in my forearms and hands/fingers. I’m wondering if I’m developing a reaction to Lantus. I tested my suspicion by skipping Lantus a few times. The nights that I skip the dose I don’t have any abnormal sensations.
Please share any experiences you’re aware of and how you resolved the side effects. Did changing the type of insulin have any effect?

hi @TiJoy it’s probably a really bad idea to skip Lantus just to see if you are having a reaction to it, only because basal insulin is really very important to keep you from severe hyperglycemia and DKA. I urge you to talk to your doctor and not to experiment like this.

My favorite resource is the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) , here is a link to Lantus: https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Lantus-insulin-glargine-520

Since you need insulin to survive, if you were having one of those very rare adverse reactions to Lantus, there are other long acting insulin formulations, and there is always a way to use only short acting insulin such as if you were to pump insulin instead of injecting it as in multiple daily injections.

please call your doctor. good luck.

1 Like

I have heard of people who have allergic reactions to particular formulations of insulin - typically localized reactions such as a rash of teens in the area. There are a number of different ones on the market so talk with your doctor. I would make an appointment right away - not to panic you, but neurological issues should airways be addressed ASAP.

1 Like

thank you both for replying. The few times I skipped the Lantus, I still checked bg and used humalog. I will contact the doc.

1 Like

My pleasure, and I’m so glad you had Humalog available! BTW, some insurances decide they will cover a particular long- and a particular short-acting insulin - mine switched from Novolog to Humalog a while back. Thankfully, they would consider an exception if the doctor documented a compelling reason why their patient needed to remain on Novolog. All of that is to say, don’t panic if the option that works for you isn’t on their formulary - there is a way around that.

1 Like

My daughter had pain near the injection site with Lantus. At first we thought it was a coincidence or a bad shot location. After a few nights, we told the doctor. The doctor switched the prescription to Levemir, and we have been going strong for 3 1/2 years with no issues.

1 Like

Over the years, I have had adverse reactions to several medications. ANY time you have any suspected reaction(s) to any medication(s), it is an URGENT situation.
You need to call you Doctor or seek medical attention immediately or as soon as possible. Some reactions can cause anaphylactic shock which can kill you quickly.
Insulin is no different. You should not experiment by skipping your medication. Please call your physician asap to ask for her/his advice over the phone. This is too important to wait to go into the office to discuss.

1 Like

Arthritic spurs in neck or elbow can cause tingling in arms and hands. Carpal tunnel problems can cause tingling and numbness in thumb, index and middle fingers. I wouldn’t jump to insulin as the cause right away.

1 Like