EverSense

Has anyone ever heard of this CGM?

Yes Synthia @synstokesyahoo-com, from what I’ve been told it is really good - something I might eventually get. I personally know of only one person using it and he thinks it is good - good for his outdoor lifestyle as he is now mid-way through a 2,200 mile trek of the Appalachian Mountain trail - Maine to Georgia. He figures that this is one CGM that won’t get knocked off.

The EverSense is embedded in the arm - not many doctors is embedded in the upper arm and needs to be replaced every 90 days. An 190 day sensor is in use in Europe. I have contact information for the Florida Eversense Representative who addressed out February JDRF Chapter meeting - it was shortly after that Mike, the guy hiking, got his sensor implanted.

I heard an Endo speaking about it at a TCOYD conference in May. It was my understanding that the wearer may remove the outer device and go without it for a few hours or days, if you wish, then, put it back on. This would work if you wished to swim, wear revealing clothes or for some other reason wanted to go without CGM for a while. That part is not appealing to me, though, I think some might like that feature. I do like the idea of not having to change sensor for 90 days though.

@synstokesyahoo-com

Yes, it’s still somewhat of a new device for the US, although they are gaining some popularity. One reason is that the sensors have to be implanted in the doctor’s office every 90 days, by a trained provider, and I have no idea how many there are nationwide. I know a doctor who is waiting for them to be available in our area because of his frustrations with the alarms and demands of the other CGMs on the market messing with his surgery schedule, so obviously there are benefits.

One thing I think is a good feature is that the external reader devices can be taken off for a time, as has been pointed out. However, they I believe they still require calibration via finger stick about every 12 hours. Also, financially speaking, I’m not sure how solid Senseonics is at this time. Their shares are trading as penny stocks ($1.10/share), while Dexcom is trading at ~$150/share, and Abbott Laboratories (makes for the Freestyle Libre) is a diversified company trading ~$80/share, and has announced expansion of their production capacity for the Freestyle Libre over the next 18 months.

I mention this all as a way to help you be aware and perhaps avoid frustrations related to availability.

1 Like

Hello Syntia, Im from Italy and can speak in deep because my wife T1 had eversense 1.5 year. In simple words very precise but prediction not very good. The real problem is you need surgery every 6 month. Sensor is installed under skin, normally in the back of arm. What has been critical is removal of the worn out sensor with lot of difficulties during surgery. We decided to move at G6 Dexcom with calibration. Very happy at moment.
We are all different but based on my experience I would not reccomend eversense.
Any questions let me know,
Ciao
Marco

1 Like

How deep do they implant sensor? Is it prone to infection? Did they numb it for implantation? Can u say what about the procedure bothered her? I’ve had quite a few mefical procedures in office and tolerate pretty well, even if painful. I’m just envisioning not having to change sensors so often. I do appreciate your comments. Lots to consider.

My brother has been using it for a couple of months now. He switched to it from the Dex G6. He likes it, although the insertion (in office, incision in arm) was more intrusive than he thought it would be. He likes the vibrate under his skin, for during the night so it actually wakes him up. But he said it’s not as accurate as his G6 was. He’s going to stick with it for awhile longer to see if the kinks work out.

Hi Andrea @DJAdgieB, thank you for this information; I’m still investigating and learning. The one friend who has it told us that he didn’t mind the insertion - even with the more than 100 mile round trip he needed to drive to get the device.

One question, how does your brother determine that it is not as accurate as his G6? Is he comparing the Eversense to lab glucose results - either plasma glucose or arithmetic conversion to HbA1c?

From a day to day perspective, he finds that he has more false lows and highs with the Eversence than he did previously with the Dex (he had the G5 for years and then the G6 since it came out before getting Eversence). He was frustrated with Dex and sensors failing prematurely with the G6, which was a big reason for him trying Eversence. So far, he says while he was having problems with the G6, at least his numbers were more accurate. His view so far is that each has its pluses and minuses and overall, one isn’t better or worse than the other. It like I said, it’s only been a couple of months, so he’s willing to keep going to see if things get better.

My T1D kids are 7 & 11, so Eversence isn’t a route we are going to go anytime soon. But I like to keep up with the latest T1D tech. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m now using the Dexcom G^, and was asking my endo (who had implanted the first Eversense sensor in our state) about getting mine implanted. He discouraged it, said he couldn’t recommend it. When I had my next appointment he said that in between he had tried to remove the only 1 he had yet implanted.
Unfortunately he couldn’t seem to get a grip on it with his forceps, it just kept slipping free when he tried to pull it out. So it’s still in there. Not sure if he’ll try it again or not. Think I’ll stick with my G6.

Yes, it’s amazing! Does not offer a closed loop system yet. Created in part by the former CMO at Medtronic who helped develop their closed loop system. My own daughter doesn’t use it yet but hoping to move her to it soon. I believe you must be 18 years of age or older at this time.