Eating Disorders

Hello! I have been diabetic for 11 years and was diagnosed with an eating disorder about a year ago. Has anyone else struggled with this? The combination of diabetes and ED is overwhelming and scary, and choosing recovery is unbelievably hard. Looking to connect with anyone who can relate (:

I had what they now call “diabulimia” during my college years, but there wasn’t a name for it then and it wasn’t talked about. I never skipped my shots or anything, but I barely ever checked my BG unless I wasn’t feeling well. I was so nice and slim and I knew that tightening my control might make me gain some weight, so I was in pure denial. I finally woke up when I read that having high BG was like having syrup pumping through your veins, and for some reason that visual made me pay attention and start the process of getting in control. I figure my average BG was in the 180-200 range on any given day, and that went on for years. It’s been 32 years of T1 for me, and I am grateful to still be here and in relatively good shape. It’s never too late to turn things around, and I hope you can get the help you need to love yourself and your body so you can continue to experience life in a healthy way!

I understand where you’re coming from. Over the last year, I have struggled with giving all of my insulin and testing my blood sugar for the exact reason you described. I was lucky enough to receive treatment last summer at an eating disorder treatment center that also specialized in diabetes, but every day is still a fight. It sounds like you really turned things around, which is awesome! Any advice?