Donating Blood/Plasma

Does anyone know whether you are allowed to donate blood or plasma or both with diabetes?

I can get about $55/week by donating plasma twice a week... so if I can... I will! haha

I keep forgetting to ask my doctor, and she's going to be gone for the next three weeks, so I am wondering what others on here say

Thanks!

from what i remember when i tried to go donate blood they said no. it might be from something else, but yeah. oh maybe look it up at the american red cross online. ill go get the link and post it for you.

http://www.redcross.org/en/eligibility

there you go. ok then i can give blood im just scared to. :D

I was always told that if you are on insulin, you cannot donate blood. They said if you are diabetic and taking pills, you can.

Based on the red cross link that someone else gave, it says that you can. I guess each place has their own rules.

really? oh well then maybe not ok my bad. haha

In Canada, if you are taking insulin to control your diabetes, you are not able to donate blood. If you are taking pills or controling it with diet, you are able to.

(I'm holding back from ranting about that..I wanna donate blood damnit!)

I am making an appointment to find out if I am eligible to donate plasma... I'll let you know what they say!

Thanks for all the responses

I donate platelets every 2 weeks with the Red Cross. You're good to go as long as you aren't on Bovine Insulin (I don't think many are..?) But no, they don't have restrictions on diabetics giving blood..That was one of the first things I asked when I was diagnosed.

Hope that helps

I am so glad you brought this up, Melissa.  I had been misinformed about blood donations.  For the last 8 years, I thought I wasn't eligible so I'm so glad to know I can!  Thanks!

However...

On a similar note, insulin-dependent diabetics cannot donate bone marrow :-(

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/Med_Guidelines_Join/index.html#Diabetes

I too would love to know the final answer on this. I have always come up with "reasons" why I cannot donate blood. I so want to give my blood to people. I mean, I already share enough with my meter, why not give it to someone who could use it.

I thought that somewhere on the Red Cross page, there was something about insulin users and a big no over the eligibility list. But I am anxious to hear the answer.

This is an excerpt from the American Red Cross page to support what I said earlier about not being able to give whole blood / platelets if you take/took Bovine Insulin. Most people do Humalog and Lantus nowadays no?

"Insulin
Donors with diabetes who since 1980, ever used bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant CJD, or 'mad cow' disease. Learn more about variant CJD and blood donation."

I have always used Lilly products.  When I called and asked Lilly about their beef insulin, sold in the U.S. in 1983-87 I got a call back and I was told that they had not used any beef from the UK.  Your manufacturer should be able to shed more light on this if you call them…  I don't donate as often as I should but I am trying to get in at least one time per year...

Cheers!

A-D