Does anyone have this or know anyone who does?

Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum

Caused by changes in the blood vessels is necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum (NLD). NLD causes spots similar to diabetic dermopathy, but they are fewer, larger, and deeper.

NLD often starts as a dull, red, raised area. After a while, it looks like a shiny scar with a violet border. The blood vessels under the skin may become easier to see. Sometimes NLD is itchy and painful. Sometimes the spots crack open.  NLD is a rare condition. Adult women are the most likely to get it.

-I have this and it is very annoying to deal with.  Especially since it is on my leg right between my ankle and knee.  It is almost a perfect circle and measures about 7 inches across.  It doesn't hurt but if I just barely hit it or scrape it on something it puts tears to my eyes.  I tend to be very self concious of it especially in the summer when I wear shorts.  People are always looking at it and asking me if I burned my self.  I went to a dermatologist and they gave me a steriod cream to put on it 2 times a day.  I did this for about 6 months and there wasn't even a slight difference in the way it looked.  My endo said she has only seen one other patient with it.  Does anyone else have this and if so what do you do to deal with it?  Has a doctor come up with any other treatments than just a cream that doesn't seem to help?

i developed that when i was 8. it took them quite a few years to put an accurate diagnosis on it (i was probably 14 when they finally told me it was NLD). they told me it was all sorts of stuff from ringworm to psoriasis.

i'm happy to say that now, after almost 16 years, the spots have FINALLY faded and are almost barely noticeable on my legs. for the first 10-12 years, they looked like horrible scars. as a kid, i made up a story about a car accident, but once i got comfortable with myself i didn't have troubles telling anyone what it really was (because it really isn't anything that bad).

i'm afraid to tell you i don't have any advice for you, though. it just takes time. if you are comfortable with yourself, your family, and friends they will be accepting of you. it's always frustrating when someone gives you a weird look or points and stares at you. because i've had it for so long, i actually stopped noticing it after awhile. like everything else, it became a part of me and something i stopped thinking about every second of the day.

i can't believe there's someone else out there with this! i've never known anyone else :o)

Yes I have two of these large shiny "spots" on my right leg between my right shin. It used to be much more noticeable to the point where people would ask me what happened (they thought it was a bruise). I used to joke that I should tell people I fell off a motorcycle. Now that they're lighter, and my skin is kind of pinkish anyway, I don't get people asking about it. It used to make me very self-conscious. I think years of better blood sugar control have helped fade them out. Doctors didn't know what mine were for awhile, either. I was relieved to finally find out.

I mean on my right shin. (: Forgot to edit!

When I was about 12-13, I was shaving my legs and I took a good chunk of skin off my right shin.....it never really healed correctly/completely.....and I have a large red spot on my shin now.....It used to be shaped like a heart....but now it's just a big circle....it's ugly, but has lightened up a bit lately.  During the summer it's harder to see as I am out in the sun more......I hate it when people stare at it....I used to be pretty self conscious about it, but I am over it now.  It's just a part of me....it does hurt if I scratch it or bump it.  Otherwise, it doesn't really bother me.  The skin is very thin over it.  Is there anything that can be done about it?  My endo just looks at it every time I go, but doesn't say a whole lot about it? 

I have had this conditon on my shins since i was twelve. However until now I  had no idea what the terminology was for it.  I was always told by my endo and regular doctors that it was just skin complication or a form of psoriasis and not to worry about it..Now i have PAD as well and wonder if they really knew what they were talking about. Your right angela cuts and scars seem to take very long or dont seem to heal at all now as well. My forearms , hands and legs are littered with  scars.I feel embrassed whenever i have to wear shorts or go swimming. Has any other men noticed that your hair on your legs stops growing as well as the condtion spreads down to the feet and up to the knees? Mine almost look like these now...

http://dermimages.med.jhmi.edu/images/necrobiosis_lipoidica_2_040214.jpg