Doc said no to veggies!

I remember telling my doctor that i was thinking about going vegetarian and he told me that is not possible as a diabetic.  he said unfortunetly you need protein that has to come from meat.  I smiled at him and said that is amazing becuase I have been vegetarian for 12 years and diabetic for 26.  Happily still proving that theory wrong after 17 years as a veggie and 31 as a diabetic!  Not a single complication, no ill side effects and still in love with tofu.  :) 

Doctors are not immune to their own prejudices, including those that claim that the only protein source is animal protein. Fortunately, we now know that vegetable proteins are better than animal proteins. I hope your doctor was inspired to learn a bit more about the issue. Forty years as a diabetic here, six years as a vegetarian, and heading toward veganism... professional chef, insulin pump user, and HDL levels off the charts...   :)

I've gotten the same thing. I was vegetarian for a while a very long time ago. I had a dietitian tell me that at least 75% of my protein needed to come from animal sources. I proved her wrong by doing very well. She dismissed me as an fluke.

I have been vegetarian for most of my adult life and vegan for the past year   but I did start eating meat twice when docs told me the same thing.  The diabetes did not improve with the meat, it worsened.  I have complications now but if anything these have improved since going vegan.

Gastroparesis  test- time it takes for something to pass through system-just showed improvement since going vegan.  Docs still do not recommend veggies with GP.

Gastroparesis  test- time it takes for something to pass through system-just showed improvement since going vegan.  Docs still do not recommend veggies with GP.