Do yous think this actually works?

Very unclear what this vaccine did. Were the subjects taking insulin, and the vaccine helped control their sugar levels, or were they taking no insulin at all?

If it’s the former, this is a big fat slice of baloney. If the latter, then we may have a cure on our hands within a few years.

Sounds like Fake news on Facebook.

It’s not fake it’s from a news channel where I live I just shared it from their Facebook post

One thing folks, this tuberculosis antiviral is NOT proclaimed to be a diabetes cure, although it possibly might have that effect for some people lifestyle type two.

About all the report says is that a side effect of this drug appears to lower glucose levels in some people with TypeOne. Who knows [yet], it may help some people. As we all know, there are many steps we can take, in addition to insulin, to lower body glucose.

I checked the local news station website, no sign of the story, see for yourself http://www.wgal.com

It’s being called a “breakthrough”, and that is utterly false. This is either media sensationalism, a company looking to raise more money by getting the attention of biopharma investors or both.

This “cure” like saying there are steps you can take to save gas in your car by turning off the AC and driving only on the highway. If you want to inject vaccines every month to lower your sugar by 18% then be my guest.

It’s not false, it just doesn’t change the fact that the car still needs gas to drive. A true cure is complete and total insulin independence. Scientists have still not cracked the code to why the immune system destroys islet cells.

@Lavallek
http://www.wgal.com/article/study-common-vaccine-can-reverse-advanced-cases-of-diabetes/21746920

@Zale sensationalism, sure, but nowhere in the article did I see anyone portraying this as a “cure”. They simple formed a hypothesis, ran trials, and reported the results. I for one am always for any and all trials/studies being done for type 1, as that’s the only way we will every truly find a cure. I’m not a scientist, but I would wager that the vast majority of cures for any disease or illness was the result of hundreds, if not thousands, of “dead ends” and “failures”. I only use those terms in the context that they may not have directly led to a cure. I do believe though that any testing being done is of great benefit, even if it turns out to be fruitless.

@ryanandjenn, nice detective work! Thanks for the link.

It has been my experience, both personally and professionally, that many “cures” for medical and product problems occur as the result of “serendipity” or observations made by persons outside the field of study. The discoveries of insulin and antibiotics are a couple of things that come to mind.

There have been many, many claims of “major breakthroughs” in the treatment of diabetes over the years. But when push-comes-to-shove, I’m still sticking myself and taking insulin (and this is after more than 60 years). I’ve learned to not hold my breath.

It’s kind of funny. Monday I had to pull our exercise bicycle apart because it was making a very loud knocking sound (a Schwinn Airdyne AD2). I called Nautilus (they own the Schwinn Exercise Bicycles now) and they offered a couple of suggestions. I agreed to try them and went on to “work the fix.” To make a long story short, I found the real problem (one that has plagued this model for several years) and called Nautilus back. The support person was so excited with what I had to say; she asked me to write it up and email the write-up to her - simple problem, simple fix. It just took “a fresh pair of eyes.”

Someday a “prevention” will be found. And, perhaps, they will later develop a resolution for those who already have T1. In the meantime I’ll keep sticking myself and riding my Schwinn Airdyne (it’s quiet now!).

Good luck to all!

Bill

Here’s a link to the raw scientific study (it’s in an open access journal so I think anyone can read it from this link):

Findings are promising but sample size is very small. And agreed–I’m not willing to get a fresh BCG scar every month just to reduce my insulin consumption a little bit. I had this vaccination as a child and still have a pretty hefty mark to show for it…and I definitely still use insulin!

I mean, seriously, just a reduction in a1c and a reduction in insulin use by 18 percent. I get that much by exercising

this is completely false. Also you may need to have had the disease for 10 years first. then it takes three years to take effect maybe. The success rate is low. Also I wouldn’t trust a report that can’t even transcript correctly, makes spelling errors and grammar errors.

I see it was published on the 21 June (2018). If it was such a miraculous cure they would have been announcing it over world news, but hey I’ll keep to the riots on television and say it is false.

JDRF and the ADA just released an announcement about this, but I can’t find the link now… The results are not reliable because of the small sample size (9 and 5 from each group, I think).

I’m VERY excited about the study. The first trial, which was very small, ran from 2012 to 2017. A new, larger trial has begun, and will conclude in 5 years. The method is to inject BCG vaccine at 0 and 4 weeks, and then administer an annual booster for the next 4 years. It’s not a fake study or statistically insignificant, either. It is a hope for T1D families AND sufferers of other autoimmune disorders. I will not allow pessimism to rule my or my child’s life. I am praying that this treatment leads to a cure.

it’s not the reduction in insulin requirement that is significant… , it’s the dynamics of the reduction: the abstract and data suggests a method to essentially reprogram the autoimmune malfunction that causes diabetes in the first place.

What is frustrating is how little is known regarding what genes need to move in order to not destroy insulin producing cells.

Dr Faustman helped identify abnormal T-Lymphocyte Subsets about 1989, so ithe concept is kinda far from new.

in clinical trials - Phase I anything does not excite me, but progress (and by progress I mean not smart insulin, not artificial pancreas, and not a 5% better CGM) is exciting.

good luck to us! (but don’t throw away your insulin yet)

Hey!
I just realised how to cure T1D!
Turn people in to mice!

We already are, you’ll see one day.

Humans are expendable.

There are 8 billion of us, a few losses wouldn’t harm our survival.