Diagnosis stories?

I’m new to this site but not to diabetes. I’m just hoping to connect with some other people who go through the same things I do. Wanna share some diagnosis stories with me? Here’s mine.

I was sick all the time, I often had yeast infections that wouldnt go away (TMI I’m sorry) and I was always tired. I started drinking crazy amounts of liquid and at 9 years old I peed the bed for the first time since I was a year and a half old. My mom knew there was something more going on than my doctor was seeing at that point. We saw a different doctor who immediately sent my mom and I to children’s. I’d never heard of diabetes at the time but my mom was hysterical, she was crying on the phone with my aunt saying what was happening. I didnt really know what to think so I asked her if I was going to die, which made her cry harder but she assured me I’d be ok. I had no idea what to expect. Once we got to the hospital the next week and a half was full of a lot of education, waking up to pee every hour and bland food that I wasnt used to…I ate alot of Turkey sandwiches and to this day I still dont eat them Haha! My blood sugar was almost 700 and the doctors were amazed that I hadn’t slipped into acoma by then, I was very lucky.

Im 25 now and I still have the hardest time managing my blood sugars and diet, which is what brought me here. Any advise is greatly appreciated and welcomed!

After a month of being sick and still going to school. I would sleep on the grass and pretty much failed the term. eventually I didn’t wake up. When I woke up I was in hospital and they were like… Surprise you have diabetes.

Hey Jessica thanks for sharing your story! I had a similar situation happen to me about a year ago. I was 19. I was also extremely thirsty and weak. I would wake up about 5 times during the night to pee! Thankfully my mum realised something wasn’t right and checked my blood sugar (she is also type 1) and almost had a panic attack when she saw my blood sugar was about 450. She took me to hospital where they falsely diagnosed me as a type 2 diabetic! They gave me tablets but it never really lowered my sugar levels under 200. So we looked for another doctor and then I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. I was in hospital for 2 days and I remember feeling so alone and cried while nobody was looking. I was depressed for a couple of months after as it was my final year in college and my life completely changed. However I found out that two of my friends in college were also type 1. It helps so much when you have people to talk to. I still get periods when I feel really defeated by the disease and then I have periods of feeling great and that I have it under control.

Also if you need someone to talk to or a friend, I’m here for you. I know how shitty it can be sometimes

@Jls0992 hi Jessica @Edina hi Edina,

the most typical story is that of a cold or flu and then following that, excessive thirst, exhaustion, and catastrophic weight loss. then a trip to the doctor and some crazy blood sugar reading that is typically off the scale.for the device.

mine is just that, sun poisoning, followed by fever, followed by having to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, followed by exhaustion and I lost 30 lbs. that i did not have to give away… my story diverges here in that I figured I was going to die, so I told no one. I was very close to coma when I went to the hospital, but stayed conscious due to my stubborn heritage. hospital… 15 years of depression and self-abuse… now doing OK.

welcome to Type One Nation.

1 Like

Parent here to share my toddler’s story…
Approaching 2, cutting FIVE teeth and amidst a growth spurt. We figured her crankiness/mood swings were warranted. No cold,virus or fever but just seemed weak and tired. Excessive urination, extremely thirsty constantly, sleeping more (even alone) and simply wouldn’t walk. Unfortunately I let a couple weeks pass before calling dr… suddenly we found ourselves in peds ICU at Riley with a glucose level of 846!! Seriously a miracle she is Still here!
We never imagined diabetes wit her being so young much less type 1 (first in our families).
One month diaversay today and she’s adjusting pretty good. Still a rollercoaster!
Benefit… she’s young and won’t know any different as she grows.
Challenge… whole family adjusting with and for her

I was in 1st grade (6 yrs old) and I got really sick. I couldn’t do anything for myself. When I went to the hospital, they diagnosed me. I was there for a week,

Hi Amanda, The beginning of my diagnosis is similar to yours. I was seven years old and in the second grade. My parents thought I had a cold and gave me fluids. I fell out of bed one night and didn’t respond when my sister spoke to me and she went and got our parents. They took me to the ER and I was diagnosed, put into ICU and after coming out of coma, I was moved to the pediatric floor and started to learn how to test my urine and draw up insulin and was given an orange to learn how to inject insulin. I was there, I believe, two weeks and released Christmas Eve. I also remember a boy being brought to my room because he had broken his leg and feeling sad for him because he wouldn’t be home for Christmas. Though my diabetes has been up and down, I want encourage younger people with T1D to keep fighting and to encourage parents to keep fighting along side their child. My parents were a great source of support and they are a big part of why I am still here.:blush:

1 Like

I was “lucky” I guess. It was the beginning of this year (40 yrs old) and my vision became incredibly blurry and I was horribly thirsty and up all night using the bathroom because of all the water I was drinking. A co-worker who has a friend with diabetes convinced me to go in. The doctors looked at me funny but reluctantly tested my BS. The hospital called me that night because my BS was up over 500. I was not hospitalized but still in total shock that I had diabetes at 40.

Hi Jessica!

I was diagnosed in the ER after my mother and best-friend forced me to go because I complained of chest pain. I am a Muslim so I was fasting for Ramadan at the time so I assumed my fatigue, nausea and vomiting was somehow related to my fast. I rationalized me peeing so frequently as a result of me drinking so much water. Because c’mon I couldn’t have Diabetes, so I thought.

When the nurse at the ER triage showed me the glucometer reading of 580, I was boo-hooing the entire day. Though I only have had Diabetes for 16 months–my advice to you is routine. I am not sure if you are an insulin pump user or not-- but for me I got into a routine now habit of carb counting every meal and giving insulin boluses in advance. If you carb count appropriately and bolus as needed, you’ll notice your BG level out nicely even after a high carb meal in a couple of hours. And A1c always at goal.

Feel free to reach out!

Hey, we can be diabuddies! I was diagnosed as Type One last year at age 45. I was misdiagnosed 9 months earlier as Type 2. My doctor kept telling me to exercise and lose weight even though was 113 lbs at the time and averaged 13,000 steps a day. By the time I saw an Endo. and he did an antibody test I was 105 lbs. I was in such shock at being diagnosed as Type 1 ! I thought I was too old to get T1D.

Thank you all for your stories! It’s never fun having diabetes but it is great to know that there are people out there that will support you and understand what you go through on a daily basis. I wish all of you the best! I too am here for anyone that needs advice or just wants to talk, diabuddies are always welcomed! :wink::blush:

1 Like

That sounds great. Always nice to have someone that understands.

Well, it started when I was 25. Wife was in labor with our son for 5 days, started getting super thirsty, urgent frequent urination. After the 3rd day a filling broke loose in my mouth. Went to the dentist on the 7th day. Dentist said go to the hospital, go directly to the hospital, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. Nurse snapped her neck with bulging eyes and said your supposed to be in a coma. Bg was 800 something, had my filling not have broken loose I’m certain I would have just kept going and would have certainly fell into a coma. Funny thing, I had my appendix removed months prior, they tested my bs prr surgery. 122 “must have had a big meal they said”.

When I was 8 I faked a stomach ache to get out of this party my dad wanted me to go to. The next day I actually got a stomach ache. I couldn’t keep anything down after another day passed. My mom called the doctorand they told her it was just the flu, and I needed fluids and rest. I honestly don’t remember half of it because I thought I was blanking out but my mom said I was awake the whole time. I kept peeing the bed at least once a night sometimes twice. My mom decided to call the doctor again and they told her the same thing. So my mom thought Sprite would help because white soda helps upset stomachs. Well probably the worst thing we could’ve done. I couldn’t keep medicine down, I couldn’t even take a sip of water or any liquid without throwing it up 2 minutes later. My mom decided I needed to take a bath to relax cause I was stressed out. When coming to check on me she could hear the struggle I had trying to breathe and that’s when they decided to rush me to the ER. When we first got there apparently the hospital staff didn’t know what to do because I was a child and I guess they were use to working on adults (I don’t remember anything from the hospital) So they called children’s hospital and was told to check my blood sugar which came out to 666. Sooo I eventually was transfered to childrens and stayed 2 nights there and tried to fight the staff everytime I needed a shot.